Sofa Pulled out From Floor

Started by gregslogcabin, September 12, 2017, 08:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregslogcabin

The jackknife couch screws pulled up from the floor, only had it a few months. Anyone else have this happen?

2017 21bhs

DavidM

Your pic is way too big. Use a simple photo editor to downsize it to 500 KB or less so it can be seen without scrolling 5 screen widths down and sideways.

David

gregslogcabin

Trying a smaller file size to see if it helps. Anyhow the couch is screwed to the floor of the slide via 8 screws, 4 on each side. On each side 3 of the 4 screws don't seem to be holding, so any weight at all causes it to lift in the air. It's as if only one screw on each side is screwed into anything substantial. We have only used the camper 3 weekends, and my kids are the only ones who have slept on it, the heaviest one weighing only 60lbs. 

It should be something they can fix under warranty, I'll contact the dealer I bought it from and see what they say.

Pretty disappointing performance for an expensive camper.

djmiller

Can you send me the VIN number of your camper?

Thank-you,

-Dan

Mr Smith

This is exactly what I was afraid of with the new Styrofoam floor. I've noticed a few of the screws pulled out from underneath holding up the wiring harness and there's no way to screw them back into Styrofoam.  Now I'm worried about mine if the screws don't go through the floor and hit the frame the screws are just going to pull out of the Styrofoam floor. Between the Styrofoam floor and the TPO roof that you can't walk on to clean, and maintain is very sad. How disappointing, I am starting to regret my purchase decision. Mr Smith
2017 CL 21RBS  aluminum cabinets, dinette
2000 Ford E-150 4.6L  conversion van

gregslogcabin

I had no idea the bottom of the slide was styrofoam, but that makes sense now. 6 of the 8 screws have pulled out and there is literally nothing holding them in, no metal or wood. Only the 2 closest to the edge/center of the camper seem to be in something solid.

Mr Smith

Not just the bottom of the slide, the whole floor in the camper is Styrofoam. That means all your cabinets are screwed down the same way, right in the Styrofoam if there's no aluminum backing for the screws to go into all the screws are just going to be pulled out  overtime. I'm very disappointed in camp late, Thor actually. 
Mr Smith

DocktorJJ

The GREAT new Azdel Floor?  Aluminum holds screws.  Azdel interior walls do not; a screw will hollow out under road vibration and fall out unless it is in an aluminum stud.  I have had it happen on my 2016/2017 21RBS.  My solution was to use drywall anchors - so far so good and time will tell.
2017 Camplite 21RBS
2015 Toyota Tundra
Central Florida

Paul

Quote from: DocktorJJ on September 23, 2017, 06:20:47 PM
The GREAT new Azdel Floor?  Aluminum holds screws.  Azdel interior walls do not; a screw will hollow out under road vibration and fall out unless it is in an aluminum stud.  I have had it happen on my 2016/2017 21RBS.  My solution was to use drywall anchors - so far so good and time will tell.

I wonder if this is a common problem
http://aluminumcamperforum.com
2014 Ford Escape
2016 Ford F150 XTR 2.7l ecoboost  4x4
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2018 Camplite 21BHS (on order)

LivinLite AZ

So sorry to hear about your styrofloor. I'm glad I have a pre -Thor Camplite. Not even Dan, who helped grow the once legendary CL brand can keep keep them honest to their roots. Those bean counters sure know how to ruin a good thing.

Best of luck on resolving this. Is it too late to sell or trade it for an all aluminum 2015 model?

S

Mr Smith

When I move to Texas sometime in the spring of 2018 I plan on trading my camp lite 21 RBS in on a Lance travel trailer 1985.  Don't tell anybody but I should've listened to the wife and got the Lance 1985. :-X
Mr Smith

gregslogcabin

Well I finally called the dealer today. Their advice was to get bigger screws one or two sizes larger than the current ones and try that. I'll give it a shot. He said they should be into aluminum.

Mr Smith

Let us know if works out.  Be careful not to go all the way through the floor because you'll rip the seals out from underneath when the slide goes in and out. Best of luck. Mr Smith