Heated Underbelly

Started by ThStranger, May 03, 2018, 08:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThStranger

Does anyone know how that "Heated Underbelly" works ? If so, would you please explain it to me ? Thanks

DavidM

The furnace has a duct that sends part of its hot air underneath the floor and into the basement space. Since this appears to be an add on and may not have been carefully engineered, I would be wary of two things:

Does the hot air heat all of the tanks and especially the plumbing on the far sides from the hot air inlet? Are the grey and black water pipes that protrude underneath the belly cover protected? You could check the later with an IR gun in sub freezing temps. You could check the former by slipping a thermometer probe underneath the belly cover at the far end also in sub freezing temps.

David

ThStranger

Thanks David, they must have not installed my duct as all I have behind the panel that beside the furnace on my 2018 16DBS is one empty hole that looks to be Styrofoam lined and two holes with wires going down through them. :( ... And there is no return air vent for the furnace to draw air back in through ....

ADR

If your furnace looks like this-

The intake/return air comes in around the sides of the grille.

ThStranger