Winterization

Started by Colby6512, November 07, 2017, 12:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colby6512

We just went through the process of winterizing our new 16BHB for the first time. After draining all the tanks and the hot water tank we pumped anti freeze into the system with a hand pump hooked up to the city water inlet.

I am a bit concerned that by doing this no anti freeze actually went into the water pump.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mitch

Did you blow out the lines with a compressor or just drain everything via the low point drains?  Do you have moderately easy access to the water pump?

DavidM

Open the strainer to the pump and dump any water. Then disconnect the discharge line to the pump. Turn the pump on for a few seconds to blow the water inside out. Then hook everything back up.

David

Colby6512

Thanks

We did not blow out the lines. I drained the hot water tank, drained the fresh water, drained the grey water, no black water as it is brand new. We then pumped in the antifreeze through the city water connection through every drain

Mitch

What David said would be a good idea for this year.  If you can do that then next year I'd pump your antifreeze through the pump rather than the through the city water line and you'll be all set.

7thunders

I blew out the lines of our 16DBS, after draining all via low point drains, then after blowing out, I pumped in antifreeze as well.  the water pump is on very tight quarters, all I could do was remove bulb/screen, and turn on for a moment, then I put antifreeze in bulb, and put back on pump, then turned on again, I'm believe antifreeze was sucked into pump. It is way to difficult to access the water pump, i'd have to removed window rollup shades, then remove queen size bed compartment, then I can get into the area, but then need special tools to remove clamps or cut into hose to get antifreeze into that water line. almost impossible.  we never used fresh water tank from day one, always city water  .  hopefully what I accomplished worked.
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser

DavidM

You probably got enough antifreeze in the pump to protect it, even if you didn't run it with the discharge line open.

You can even turn the strainer up if there is room, take off the cover and then pour in a half cup or so of antifreeze while the pump is running and let it suck that up. That will surely protect it.

David