New members here and first time TT owners.

Started by kluanie, October 15, 2017, 08:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kluanie

After 6 years of looking at CL trailers we finally made the plunge- new 2017 16BHB. We're just waiting for arrival from dealer in Tennessee. Towing with 2010 Suzuki Equator crew cab (Nissan Frontier in wolf's clothing). We loaded 430 lbs on the hitch today and drop at the rear was only 1 3/8" and rise at front was 5/16" so I don't think we will need a weight distribution hitch but may need sway control due to windy conditions out west here as we are near the Columbia Gorge. Anyone out there have any experience with the Hayes electronic sway control system? It looks like it might be a good system, similar to Ford and GM's sway system.

DavidM

Your ersatz Nissan Frontier has a pretty stiff frame. Only dropping 1-3/8" for 400+ lbs of load is an indication of stiff rear springs. Our Nissan Pathfinder which is a crossover SUV with a unit body drops more than that with our 2013 16TBS. But ours is a dual axle and that reduces tongue weight and probably makes it sway less.

But all in all I would first see how it tows. You may like it with no sway control.

David

kluanie

Made our maiden voyage to Silver Falls SP in Oregon 2 weeks ago with the 16BHB towed by Suzuki Equator. Had a wonderful time hiking the trails during the one good afternoon we had. After towing the trailer on the winding roads and home on I-5 in a downpour we decided to go with Fastway E2 weight distribution hitch, partially for the weight distribution but as much for the sway control. Our rutted freeways and rain caused a bit of white knuckle driving in heavy freeway traffic between Salem and Portland. Next weekend we are making trip #2 to Dash Pt. SP in Tacoma, WA to see the Chihuli glass museum and take the grandsons on their first WAState ferry rides on Puget Sound. It's nice to be able to travel/camp this late in the year.

utahredrock

Congrats on your new trailer!

Jim
New CampLite owner, recovering Airstreamer
Jim Breitinger
Salt Lake City
2018 11FK Owner
Recovering Airstreamer