roof sealant

Started by jandi, August 21, 2017, 08:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jandi

Hello,
      I have a 2014 21-BHS with the one piece aluminum roof. While inspecting the roof I noticed some very small cracking developing in the white sealant around the perimeter of the roof and some of the vent flanges. I don't have any leaks but would like to address this before I do . I'm hoping that someone can tell me what type of sealant this is and if it can be coated over without removing all the old sealant. Thanks in advance for any answers .

Capt J-rod

I think that the dicor in the yellow tube is pretty much the standard. I recently pulled out 2 or 3 questionable spots on mine and re-caulked. I dig it out with a plastic putty knife, wipe the metal with denatured alcohol on a rag and then let it flow in and around. It had a great bond to the existing caulk as well as the aluminum with the Dicor. Sika also makes a great product. I have been using OSI quad clear on the lower sections to replace the silicone. A good trick for a finished caulk joint that will be seen is to clean everything, wipe with alcohol, mask off the areas above and/or below, and then caulk it. DAP makes a little red squeegee tool that smoothes it out perfect. Pull your masking tape asap and a perfect caulk joint should be all that remains!