Author Topic: Tire Pressure  (Read 2401 times)

Mitch

• View Profile
Tire Pressure
« on: July 23, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Anyone increase their tire pressure when they tow?  I've been poking around the internet and it seems that a fair number of people do.  I've never done that but I'm thinking it might change my ride characteristics for the better.

Stevepro172

• View Profile
Re: Tire Pressure
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
you should run your tires at max pressure to get the most payload available.  I would however NOT go over the recommended max cold pressure trying to get better ride/handling.

Inspector Don

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 09:39:11 PM »
Just a note on tire pressure; The load rating is based on Max pressure. Most RV manufactures use tires that just meet the requirements for max load if inflated to max pressure. I have seen some cases where the valve stems used are not rated for the max pressure of the tire. Many of the tires have a speed rating that is less than the speed limit on most Highways. Heat is an issue in many of the southern states, and a tire that is out of balance will generate more heat than a balanced tire. A tire can be perfectly balanced and if it is out of round, it will react much the same as a tire that is out of balance.

Mitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 07:49:09 AM »
Good info, thanks. I was actually thinking of raising tire pressure on the tow vehicle not the trailer. Any thoughts?

djsamuel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:44 AM »
Good info, thanks. I was actually thinking of raising tire pressure on the tow vehicle not the trailer. Any thoughts?

I raise the tire pressure in my truck about 5psi when towing. It is still below max pressure.
2013 Camplite 21BHS