Hi from Flagstaff AZ - 21RBS Towing Vehicle

Started by ydydal, June 26, 2017, 01:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ydydal

We're awaiting arrival of an awesome looking and outfitted 2017 21RBS. We've got an older Ford 150 for towing but are looking at upgrading to a Toyota Truck.  We like the economy of the Tacoma, it's a great all around 2nd vehicle. We are questioning if it's enough to comfortably tow this trailer. If so, is the older 4.0L V6 (2015 and before) better for towing than the newer model (3rd gen) 3.4L V6 engine. Or, is it best to move up to the Tundra? We plan to do local and longer distance trips.
2017 21RBS 😍
2016 Toyota Tundra
Qimmiq & Mbwani (Resident Goldens)

DavidM

The 21RBS can push 6,000 lbs fully loaded. So be careful which Tacoma you consider.

The 2017 Trailer Life Towing Guide:http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/ shows I4 and V6 engines of 2.7 liters and a V6 at 4.0 liters. Maybe they meant that the smaller V6 was 3.4 liters.

But in any case, only the 4.0 with tow package has enough towing capacity- 6,400-6,600 lbs for a 21RBS. The others are way too low. I think that the Tacoma with the 4.0 will tow the 21RBS just fine. CharlieM has one with a supercharged 4.0 engine that he uses to tow his 21RBS in the mountains, but that is probably overkill.

David

DocktorJJ

Suggest you get a V8 Tundra. then you'll have NO issues and plenty of power.  I have a Tundra we pull the LL 21rbs with; and a Nissan frontier that wishes he could pull it loaded... LOL
2017 Camplite 21RBS
2015 Toyota Tundra
Central Florida

Paul

Quote from: DocktorJJ on June 30, 2017, 01:22:20 AM
Suggest you get a V8 Tundra. then you'll have NO issues and plenty of power.  I have a Tundra we pull the LL 21rbs with; and a Nissan frontier that wishes he could pull it loaded... LOL

Just to be on the safe side and not regret in case the Tacoma is not good enougt I would do the same thing
http://aluminumcamperforum.com
2014 Ford Escape
2016 Ford F150 XTR 2.7l ecoboost  4x4
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2018 Camplite 21BHS (on order)

LANA/LARRY

We also are picking up our 2018 CL21RBS next week. We chose to get a Tundra 5.7 L V8 not so much for the brute torque and HP it offers, but for several other features the Tundra brings to the task. I suspect any of the Tacoma V6 engines would easily "pull"  the 21rbs, but that's not the end of the story.

One needs to consider total weight carrying capacity of rear axle, braking ability, sway control features, full load rating of loaded truck plus trailer, etc. and should you choose to go a bit larger RV in the future, will your truck handle that. All of the newer 5.7 L Tundra (2016 and up I think) have integrated factory equipped trailer brake systems, automated sway control, built in "tow mode" engine brake feature, Class IV hitch (far exceeds our case needs), optional rear stabilizer bar. The Devil''s in the details!

One considerableTundra down side (VS Tacoma) would be fuel economy while not towing. However while towing, there's no free lunch with any truck. I suspect towing mpg would be very similar for either vehicle.

Since I have not yet pulled our 21rbs with our Tundra, I cannot pass on any first hand experience until after next week. Feel free to contact me for our results if you are still undecided. Both Tacoma and Tundra are GREAT tough vehicles IMO, but felt a considerably improved safety edge with Tundra for our application. 

Great choice on your CL, and potential truck Brand! Enjoy & God Bless.
2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L

AZMVP

How was your summer of camping? 

I also live in Flg. Hoping we see a little snow soon.  =)

Cheers!
Matt

Atarikid

I pull my CL21RBS with a Nissan Frontier SV V6 but drained the tanks before doing so. No problem, didn't even break a sweat.