One tire wearing on outside edge only???

Started by Dirk, May 08, 2017, 02:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk

I have a tire that is showing wear on the outside edge. The other tire shows normal wear.
I have a 2016 13 ft BHB.
Do I have a bent spindel if so do I have to replace the axle?
I'm I correct that the axle is a #10 Dexter.

djmiller

We have never experienced a bent spindle.  Not saying it couldn't happen but extremely unlikely.
May want to have your dealer check it out.

-Dan

Dirk

I would love to be able to take it to my dealer... I phoned them and all I got was "sorry we no longer sell travel trailers"
They dropped Livin Lite trailers like a hot potato .
Now what?

wakeboydb

It could possibly be a defective tire, sounds odd but I've seen it before on a car. If a belt has snapped, missing a section or something similar, it could happen.
2017 21BHS

djsamuel

Quote from: wakeboydb on May 09, 2017, 07:18:30 AM
It could possibly be a defective tire, sounds odd but I've seen it before on a car. If a belt has snapped, missing a section or something similar, it could happen.

Agree.  Are these the original tires?  If so, the ones that came on mine (Vail) were junk.  At first all tires were wearing evenly and then I had one replaced under warranty due to a slit in the sidewall.  That Vale tire wore MUCH more quickly than the other tires, even when I rotated them.  I replaced them Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires (now Radial Trail HD).  they are excellent and wear evenly.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

djmiller

Our tire supplier is Lion's head and you can contact them directly.  A common misconception many people have is expecting to get the same mileage out of their automotive tires they do on their RV.
About the only thing that is the same is they are both round. The ST designation used on travel trailers stands for Special Trailer Tire. Here is a link to a pretty good article on ST tires. https://yourfulltimervliving.com/rv-resources/rv-trailer-tire-when-should-you-replace-tires-on-your-rv-trailer

StroMobile

I just logged in to report the same thing...
I have a 2014 16DBS that I purchased new in 2015 and has less than 5000 miles.  It has tandem axels and only the right rear tire is wearing differently - to the rear bars on the outside. 
They are are OEM Vail Tires - ST 175/80D/13.
Is this potentially an alignment issue on the rear axel???  Can this be fixed?  We no longer have dealer in the hood.  Nearest one is now 350 miles.
Thanks...

Steve K

If you want to check your alignment you can look at http://www.centrevilletrailer.com/how-to/trailer-axle-alignment-trailer-tire-wear/.  You could also have a bent or damaged rim or your tires could be out of balance.  If you have never had the tires balanced, that is the place to start as trailers are notorious for having out of balance tires from the factory.  Any reasonable trailer shop should be able to check out your problem and suggest what can be done.  You don't need a dealer to do that.  This is no different than a cargo trailer or any other travel trailer.

StroMobile

Quote from: Steve K on May 09, 2017, 10:02:05 PM
If you want to check your alignment you can look at http://www.centrevilletrailer.com/how-to/trailer-axle-alignment-trailer-tire-wear/.  You could also have a bent or damaged rim or your tires could be out of balance.  If you have never had the tires balanced, that is the place to start as trailers are notorious for having out of balance tires from the factory.
Thanks for the alignment link...
I don't see any weights on the inside or outside of the rims so I guess no balancing.
I think I will look more into the alignment and probably replace all 4 with the Hartland Radials sold at Discount Tires.  From internet reviews, looks like the OEM Vail Bias Ply tires are junk...Don't need them coming apart on me on the next trip!!

djmiller

I don't believe any manufacturers balances ST tires.  ST tires cannot be compared to automotive tires - see the link in prior posts, or google the topic.

Regards,

-Dan

StroMobile

Quote from: Dan Miller on May 10, 2017, 07:26:06 AM
I don't believe any manufacturers balances ST tires.  ST tires cannot be compared to automotive tires - see the link in prior posts, or google the topic.

Regards,

-Dan
Thanks for the information Dan!  Do you recommend I balance the radial tires when I switch them out, and what affect does balancing have on trailer tires, will it change the wear or prolong the life?
Thanks so much...

djmiller

That would be better answered from the group here as I personally do not know if too many people actually do balance them.  When we purchase them they are already mounted on rims and I have never seen any balance weights on any of them.

gerry

When we wore the original tires off we bought Maxxis radials. We had them balanced just because it makes perfect sense to do so. Trailer radials aren't exactly cheap, they travel the same speeds as the TV does and I wouldn't consider not balancing my TV wheels.

I notice no difference with balanced trailer tires versus unbalanced but that does not mean there isn't one.

ctmark56

Had the exact same problem. 16TBS Right rear tire worn nearly bald mostly on the outside.  Our left front also has some wear issues, but that could have been caused by the wear on the right rear.   I guess once these crap tires start wearing, they go downhill fast.  We're going to get Maxxis.

djsamuel

Quote from: StroMobile on May 09, 2017, 09:45:44 PM
I just logged in to report the same thing...
I have a 2014 16DBS that I purchased new in 2015 and has less than 5000 miles.  It has tandem axels and only the right rear tire is wearing differently - to the rear bars on the outside. 
They are are OEM Vail Tires - ST 175/80D/13.
Is this potentially an alignment issue on the rear axel???  Can this be fixed?  We no longer have dealer in the hood.  Nearest one is now 350 miles.
Thanks...

Jack the trailer up and try to wiggle the tire.  It could be you have a loose wheel bearing and that is causing that tire to have an incorrect camber when weight is placed on that axle.
2013 Camplite 21BHS