Found a keeper!

Started by l1v1nl1t3f0r3v3r, May 06, 2017, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l1v1nl1t3f0r3v3r

The search took several years, but you know what they say about those who wait :)

About to leave the dealership here (see attachment):
2015 - 14DBS w/ factory cargo bumper
Two tone - Sky Blue/ Light Gray
Tekonsha - P3 Brake Controller
Nissan Hauler Rated 5,000lbs.

Graham

l1v1nl1t3f0r3v3r

Thanks! First few purchases... Blk touch up paint, Duracell AGM 34M, 12v clip on oscillating fans, and a couple of screws that were used to level the ceiling vortex fan mounts, so they stopped rubbing. Worked perfectly! Any other suggestions are plenty welcome :)

Diversteve

Very nice.
We have a 2014 14 TBS.
It seems like the perfect balance between size, comfort and ease of use.

Hayleg

It's worth waiting coz it seems you find comfort from what you get. I believe that you will take a good care and upgrade with your baby.

l1v1nl1t3f0r3v3r

I had my eye on a TBS, but this one sort of fell into my lap. You're right with striking a balance too! Somewhat of a relief, if you need protection against storm damage, it's a small enough footprint to fit under a dual pump gas station.

Have you found some cool mods for yours? I have a couple of marine battery cases and 150 solar kit, so I may try to mount extra batteries in the storage. I kept the old interstate battery for that purpose.

I haven't been able to test this out in rain, but I did check the roof and gave it the water hose test before I threw down the cash. The tires are decent, but I have a feeling with what appears to be bubbling on the actual tread in one or two spots, that I may need to replace them.

That and they didn't grease up the hitch, so it's a bit noisy right now.

How about static cling tint or tint applications for these windows? Just wondering...

Here's an end to the day on the road and my 14 1/2 yo rescued family member :)

Biewers on the go

Hi Newbie, I am another Newbie to this brand and to being the one in the know and who has to know too.  Camped in RV's otherwise for years, all kinds.  Started with a Truck Camper way back and now have the 8.4S and noticed you are looking to put your 150W solar kit on yours and bypass the zamp solar one.

So, not being electronically savvy in terms of ever having done it, I am curious.   If I put a couple extra deep cycle batteries (is that what I would need to run a 150w solar kit) in my only exterior compartment it is  underneath my slide out dinette.  it is also in the rear overhang at the very back side end of the camper, how do I get the connection to the interior of the truck camper to the charger and then to my Inverter that isn't the one that came with the camper either when there isn't any internal access in this compartment?  The battery compartment in this camper is on the opposite side and only allows space for one marine/RV 12volt battery.  How do you know where you can and can't drill a hole in these RV's? 

I have been trying to read up on the solar kits out there, and I know I'll want one that is an Amorphous silicon and not the monocrystalline panels, and I want to install them on the roof in a way that I can take them down when I put the RV into storage, or go into a heavily wooded area where they could be damaged by tree branches when gaining access to the off road location too.  What will I need to do wiring wise, and exactly how does this all work?  I want to be able to have no electrical hookup, yet run my microwave, charge my laptop or phone and run my stereo or TV.  Most importantly, I want to be able to run a small computerized sewing machine with the stereo on or microwave/convection oven on intermittently too.  In a perfect world, I'd like it to run my AC unit too.  I've heard that is nearly impossible to put one that big on my little camper. 

Can you help me with this by chance?  Or, can anyone else?  Thanks,
Biewer's on the go

l1v1nl1t3f0r3v3r

We have that in common. As a kid we'd go bass fishing in Arkansas with our truck camper hauling the fishing boat!

I've always wanted to find a way to relive some of the past, and I figured Camplite would be my best bet. I'll post progress updates on the forum. Presently, I've only made minor touch ups. Improved weather stripping around the door and skylight from inside the bathroom. Had to re-velcro the seat cushions. Also, the new battery and oscillating fans are paying dividends.

In regard to solar power I have an old setup. All the wiring I had to do myself because none of it is proprietary cabling. I'd prefer it that way. Zamp appears to have proprietary connections on their cables. I'm not sure, if it's similar to other brands, but the concept is the same. The panels are wired to a separate controller that in turn charges your battery bank. The batteries are preferably wired parallel out to the controller. Off the batteries you'll want to use an inverter. I don't believe your trailer has one. You're probably thinking converter. An inverter is separate, and is used to run AC appliances. For a microwave you'd need a 2000-3000W inverter for example. The inverter is independent of your trailer. Consequently, if you want to run appliances that require AC, you'd plug directly into the inverter. To my knowledge the only thing your pre-wired zamp solar connection does is help charge your 12v battery. Again, you have no inverter to run AC appliances off-grid. Speaking of AC's, if you want to stay cooler, try purchasing an evaporate cooler. I have one that runs on just 108W which is perfect for a 150W solar kit. You can find electric heaters that run on as little as 170W too.

If you want to know what all I've had success running on solar, just give me a shout!

gerry

Quote from: Biewers on the go on May 09, 2017, 11:24:18 PM

I want to be able to have no electrical hookup, yet run my microwave, charge my laptop or phone and run my stereo or TV.  Most importantly, I want to be able to run a small computerized sewing machine with the stereo on or microwave/convection oven on intermittently too.  In a perfect world, I'd like it to run my AC unit too.  I've heard that is nearly impossible to put one that big on my little camper. 

Can you help me with this by chance?  Or, can anyone else?  Thanks,
Biewer's on the go

I just want to chime in here. Charging laptops can be done with 90W Cheapo inverters or purchase the car charging kit to charge it at 12V. $15 should suffice there. Charging phones and running stereos and TVs is best done at 12V, which you already have.

Microwaves and AC units are best handled by generators. Small inverter generators can be had for ~$500. With these you can charge your battery and cook and cool.

Not sure how much power your sewing machine takes. The same small inverter you charge the laptop may or may not run it but the generator certainly will.

Since you only have a small space for battery storage the genny is your best choice in my experience. Any time you can avoid an inverter it is best. There are conversion losses going from 12V to 110v which means you use more battery in an inefficient manner. 12V is king wherever possible.

l1v1nl1t3f0r3v3r

Agreed, I have an assortment of inverters. 100W, 2 - 400W, and a 1500W. The 100W will power pretty much a laptop, mobile, printer, TV, and console. Not all combinations work at the same time though; hence, the need for 400W. These style inverters plugin to the 12V on your car, charging station, or TV/ antenna port on most newer models. The 1500W connects directly to the battery. Most inverters that push higher than 1000W connect directly to batteries.

Your options are generators and large battery banks similar to what Tesla sells. I'm currently eyeing a Champion Dual Fuel remote start to run bigger ticket items when necessary and solar to charge the batteries for the lesser electronics.

l1v1nl1t3f0r3v3r

I'm running this on a 400W inverter from the charging station behind the wall. I have a 3-way 12V splitter to run the oscillating fan and evaporative cooler. So altogether, you're only looking at 125W consumption. Not bad (see attachment)...

gerry

Saw a video today of a conversion van with that same unit installed. Looks like it works well. In my area it is tough to find conservative or creative ways to heat and cool. Gets too cold for heat pumps and too humid for evap coolers. I am jealous.

Biewers on the go

I have a 400w Inverter that I can plug into my auxiliary outlet behind my TV to use the basics, but I want to be able to run my A/C unit too, hence the solar option.  Thanks for all the suggestions though, and feed back.  I'll keep you posted on how I end up too! 

Oh, and I am looking into the GEL batteries as I do not want to be dealing with battery acid leaks from boiling batteries in my outside compartments.  Anyone else ever use the GEL ones yet?  Pros and cons?
Thanks
Rayne