Bumper reinforcement question

Started by Ixoxo5, March 29, 2019, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixoxo5

Have a 2018 CL16BHB and want to reinforce the rear bumper per earlier recommendations in order to install a Swagman 2-bike carrier rated for e-bikes. Problem is, per pictures, there is exactly only two inches  of clearance between the installed rear bumper and the rear of the trailer, not enough to weld another two inch aluminum tube and a clamp-on receiver hitch that others have done with earlier models. What other options might I have?

DavidM

Let me give you some generic advice as your LL doesn't look like the ones that were strengthened on the aluminumcamperforums site. Also those may be in the archives section of that site which is the old LL website before Thor took it back.

As you note you can't just weld a new 2" tube on the aft side of the existing one, you need to weld a new one inside of the old one (with skip beads) and also weld it to the fore and aft strut to strengthen that joint. It looks like there should just be enough room to slip in a 2" tube in that space.

Then look where the fore/aft strut attaches to the frame. It may need to be strengthened with gussets or similar reinforcement.

David

Ixoxo5

There is exactly 2" of clearance, no more. Not enough to subsequently attach a receiver.

DavidM

Again I am flying blind here and depending on your pics because your CL is different from mine. I now understand your problem- as much how to install the receiver than reinforce he bumper.

Is it possible to weld in a 2" member between the bumper and the transverse structural member in front of it?

Once you do that the bumper should be strong enough to take the bike rack. It looks like you will need to drill through the new middle section so that the bike rack bolts will go through. If you also weld an 1/8" aluminum doubler plate about 6" long, that should accommodate the clamping forces.

Is this the clamp on receiver that your were thinking of (not the rack as it is only good for 35 lbs): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swagman-Traveler-XC2-RV-Folding-Bike-Rack-64663/304828021?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CVF%7CD59%7CMulti%7CNA%7CPLA%7CClean_Sweep%7c71700000033435183%7c58700003894708233%7c92700041878097916&gclid=Cj0KCQjws5HlBRDIARIsAOomqA0u4ChY-CEkMvK-biBtnn6Zu0Zt0I_nk5GiZHIt4LLzz9sOsMxl8V4aAvcSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

David

Bejinscbr

I have a Camplite where the bumper was strengthened for a bike rack. It still twisted it and cracked the aluminum by the welds. I found this design a while back at ATC's website. It seems like a better design to me. Just have a metal fab shop make one for you. Shouldn't cost too much.

Ixoxo5

That does look like a better option. Meantime, You confirmed my suspicions about stress cracks despite bulking up the bumper, particularly when I have heavier e-bikes that collectively weigh 130 pounds, plus a 40 pound rack. I'm seriously re-thinking the wisdom of it all and changing direction. Thanks for sharing.

Bejinscbr

No idea what you have for a tow vehicle, but if it's a van or truck, maybe a front hitch would be an option? 130 lbs? I definitely wouldn't do that.

Ixoxo5

Yes, I'm abandoning the idea and will simply carry the bikes in the bed of my truck. Considered a front hitch but would have to sacrifice the two tow hooks according to installation instructions. Not willing to do that.

popup2012

Ixoxo5,
  When I bought my new F-150, I got the long bed so I could carry our 2 Haike electric bikes in the bed. With the long bed I did not have to take off the front wheels, just strap them in.  Had to make a ramp to get them in due to weight.  They work great for us old people and we take them all over the country.