Adding solar panel to 21 BHS 2018

Started by hallihanp5, August 28, 2019, 12:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hallihanp5

Has anyone added solar panels to the roof of a 2018 21 BHS?

DavidM

I am not sure that the roof is the best place for a solar panel on an RV. Do you always camp in sunny spots? If so ok, but most who boondock (which is where you would need solar) camp in shady spots. Merlin on the aluminumcamperforum and a friend of mine both installed portable panels that work well for them. These let you move the panels to follow the shade.

But if you want to install them on the roof, ok. I would use thickened epoxy to glue the mounting brackets to the aluminum roof if that is what you have. If you have the elastomer roof, I don't know. Maybe screw through the elastomer to the subroof.

Running the cable is another problem with a roof installation. Maybe through an existing item on the roof like the antenna or fan and down inside of the wall down to below the floor where you can run it to a controller near your battery.

In one of the newsletters on the aluminumcamperforum I wrote an article about how to install a portable 100-200 watt solar panel system which should be plenty for most users needs. Note that the article first tries to talk you out of solar by installing bigger batteries first  ;).

David

Bill.Candy

Quote from: DavidM on August 28, 2019, 01:31:54 PM

In one of the newsletters on the aluminumcamperforum I wrote an article about how to install a portable 100-200 watt solar panel system which should be plenty for most users needs. Note that the article first tries to talk you out of solar by installing bigger batteries first  ;).

David

Hi David, would you tell me the detail url?

DavidM

Solar panel article here: https://mailchi.mp/fc579d244794/aluminum-camper-forum-newsletter?e=098d190c6d

Since I wrote it, Victron has come out with a series of MPPT controllers that are priced competitively with quality PWM controllers and I would recommend the Victron.

David

hrolfur

I added rooftop solar to my LivinLite 13BHB and the system is amazing.

smmdmd

I have a 2017 21 bhs.  I'm in the process of making choices to go solar, remove roof a/c and go with mini split and probably 12 volt refrigerator.  The more I believe I have it figured out the more I come across new information to add to the equation and then I realize how much I don't know and don't yet have figured out.  I would love to be entirely solar and boondock.  Any input is appreciated. 

Gibby

Just bought a Renogy 200 watt Eclipse solar suitcase and a 20 Amp MPPT Rover Controller.

I can move the panel any where the sun is and have 15 feet of cord to reach the trailer.

Easy Stuff!
2014 Camplite 21RBS
2021 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

britlee

Quote from: DavidM on August 28, 2019, 01:31:54 PMI am not sure that the roof is the best place for a solar panel on an RV. Do you always camp in sunny spots? If so ok, but most who boondock (which is where you would need solar) camp in shady spots. Merlin on the aluminumcamperforum and a friend of mine both installed portable panels that work well for them. These let you move the panels to follow the shade.

But if you want to install them on the roof, ok. I would use thickened epoxy to glue the mounting brackets to the aluminum roof if that is what you have. If you have the elastomer roof, I don't know. Maybe screw through the elastomer to the subroof.

Running the cable is another problem with a roof installation. Maybe through an existing item on the roof like the antenna or fan and down inside of the wall down to below the floor where you can run it to a controller near your battery.

David

It's up to you where you like to install your rv solar panel Yes, mostly rv has solar panels on the roof. but you can install solar panels on both sides as well. But in this way, one side will be always wasted. because sun light can focus on one side of the rv. 

quitzonsandy

A 2017 21 bhs is mine. I'm currently deciding whether to go solar, remove the roof air conditioner, replace it with a mini split, and possibly install a 12 volt refrigerator. The more I think I understand it, the more fresh knowledge I find to put to the equation and the more I see how much I still don't understand. I would adore living off the grid in a boondock. All suggestions are welcome.  geometry dash

annlogde

I haven't heard of anyone adding solar panels to the roof of a 2018 21 BHS yet, but it could definitely be done. The difficulty may vary depending on the type and size of panels you want to install, your location, and how experienced you are with installing roof-mounted solar panels. There are many books and websites that offer detailed instructions on how to install solar panels, so you should be able to find the information you need if you do decide to go ahead with it. It's important to make sure that any panels you install are of good quality, since this will help ensure optimal performance and avoid any potential damage to the roof. If you do decide to install solar panels, make sure you get professional advice about what type and size of panel is suitable for your roof and location. Good luck!

mayomayo72218

i wonder if that solar will work efficiently for a long time?
Super Mario

chappy133

Quote from: mayomayo72218 on June 13, 2023, 04:41:22 AMi wonder if that solar will work efficiently for a long time?
Super Mario

Works great between sunrise and sunset on sunny days, less than optimal on cloudy days and poorly by moonlight.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA