WARNING - Camplite Single-Axle

Started by PDX David, August 08, 2019, 11:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDX David

If you own a single-axle Camplite trailer (mine is a 16TBS manufactured in October 2016) I encourage you to inspect your axle to confirm that it's load rating (GAWR) is LESS MORE THAN the manufacturer's maximum trailer load rating (GVWR) - or at least greater than the trailer 'dry' weight. There should be a label on the axle (like in attached photo) with the load rating. Compare that with the required manufacturer's label indicating the GAWR (also attached). The GVWR should be noted on the "Certificate of Origin" provided by Livin' Lite when the trailer was purchased. And there should be a label inside the trailer with the trailer's dry weight.

Short story - my trailer came with an undersized 2,500 axle when it should have had a 4,500 or larger one. I'm in the process of working with KZRV to get this error fixed - at their expense.

Full story - https://www.livinlite.com/forum/index.php/topic,969.0.html

.......David

Portland, OR. / 2016  Camplite 16TBS towed by Mercedes ML350

Molly

Another issue is improper welding that can have the axle actually SEPARATE from the trailer.

Pretty scary - just happened to me with a 2013 Camplite QBB 16ft trailer. If not at a stop, could have been killed or killed someone, plus destroyed the tow vehicle.

BEWARE - that's in my post too, you can read, see a link about another Camplite axle coming off on the road and see photos (do a search).

best, Molly

Molly

Here is the old forum thread with a lot of information on this issue (welding, axle, poor quality) - http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=2502.0

I'm guessing this is why they went out of business.

Molly

David - isn't this a RECALL issue?

You will thankfully be safe on the road after your trailer is fixed, but what about others who don't have a clue they are towing a DEFECTIVE trailer with an axle that cannot support the trailer weight?

It's a serious safety issue for everyone, including anyone on the road near any of these trailers.

They should ALL BE RECALLED and be fixed. Yes?

klaker

Quote from: Molly on September 04, 2020, 01:31:09 PM

I'm guessing this is why they went out of business.

No, they went out of business because Thor changed the campers from all aluminum to the typical inferior materials found in all cheap campers, and that  ruined the product.

There are quite a few posts where people received trailers with sub-standard welds from the factory, as with all manufactured products not everything is always 100% so it is a good idea to inspect welds (and all critical safety components) on ALL trailers regardless of type or material.

aspenpath

Hmm...looks like they don't all have the problem.
I think the numbers on mine add up ok.. Let me know if you agree.

I have a 2018 16 TBS (manufacture date 11/2017)
From the stickers on the RV:
   unloaded vehicle weight - 3330 lb
   Total cargo limit - 1070 lb
      Note about Full load of water would = 216 lbs
   GVWR (max weight RV can be when fully loaded)  - 4400 lb

From the sticker on the axle:
    Dexter
    Capacity 4400 lbs

I was just thinking I need to take a picture of the sticker on the axle before it wears off.  Good idea to take pics of all the sticker while we can still read them.

Molly

Quote from: aspenpath on November 02, 2020, 06:58:51 PM
I was just thinking I need to take a picture of the sticker on the axle before it wears off.  Good idea to take pics of all the sticker while we can still read them.

Exactly what I am thinking too - as soon as get it back from the shop. It will be fixed correctly, but still... want to do my due diligence and make sure all is correct.

Thanks David for your excellent example.

Molly

Quote from: klaker on November 02, 2020, 06:54:43 PM
There are quite a few posts where people received trailers with sub-standard welds from the factory, as with all manufactured products not everything is always 100% so it is a good idea to inspect welds (and all critical safety components) on ALL trailers regardless of type or material.

"Quite a few posts... " that does not indicate how many defective "sub-standard" trailers are out there, and David discovered a serious error that is not "sub-standard welding" but an actual incorrect size axle on the trailer that could result in serious injury or death.

That's a recall issue.

It is the manufacturer's responsibility to ensure the product is safe and meets safety standards, especially something so serious as the axle on a trailer - jeez.

I'm still guessing this is part of why they went out of business - or at least it should have been. I hope they were sued up the yin yang - yes, I'm still mad. I have to pay for my axle repair, after 6 months of use.

But at least no injury, no thanks to Livin Lite.

gzelna

This is an ongoing thread- I am asking as I see two failure modes- one is the welded aluminum bracket/channel -whatever - that the steel axle bolts to detached, and two- that a grossly undersized axle was used on some single axle models roundabouts the transition to Thor. Two totally different defects. My 2017 16TBS does have what I am pretty sure from taking a peek, is a 4,000 lb axle (not 4500# many mention) certainly not a 2500.... Decal on the Dexter axle was source for this rating. (Its nearly gone, though). How would one know their welds is/are going to fail, though ? What indicates an improperly welded set of brackets that the axle bolts to ?

Bejinscbr

I would get under the trailer and inspect all welds, both at the axles and the frame welds too. You are basically looking for cracks starting to form. If you are not comfortable with that, then you should take it to a good welding shop and have them check all the welds and show you what to look for. You should be checking this after every trip, and maybe after severe pothole hits. If the aluminum has started to crack, it can probably be repaired before it gets worse.

PDX David

Quote from: Molly on November 02, 2020, 08:07:42 AM
David - isn't this a RECALL issue?

You will thankfully be safe on the road after your trailer is fixed, but what about others who don't have a clue they are towing a DEFECTIVE trailer with an axle that cannot support the trailer weight?

It's a serious safety issue for everyone, including anyone on the road near any of these trailers.

They should ALL BE RECALLED and be fixed. Yes?

Sorry for not answering sooner, but just got notice of a post reply.  FWIW, this Forum is pretty much dead. Most folks have migrated to: http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/.  They have a separate category for LivinLite discussion.

Yes, the problem and repair was covered under warranty.  Luckily there was an approved dealer just a few miles from my house and everything is good now.

I also reported to National Transportation Safety Board - but never got a response from them.

........David
Portland, OR. / 2016  Camplite 16TBS towed by Mercedes ML350

campfam

NTSB is not the correct agency. The NHTSA has oversight on vehicle manufacturing safety, including recalls.

olivia9203

Whistling tea kettles are a popular, classic item that will never go out of style. They can be a convenient and nostalgic addition to your kitchen, and they make you happy every time you use them. So if you're in the market for a new kitchen item, be sure to consider a whistling tea kettle. https://justteakettle.com/best-glass-tea-kettle/