How cold is too cold?

Started by Deb Z, February 05, 2017, 08:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb Z

It's still going to be winter here in WI for a while but I'm itching to go camping. Can someone please tell me what the low temp limit is to safely set up and take down the canvas/window material of my QS 8.0? I have no problem being out below freezing but I'm not willing to ruin the camper to do it.

(moved from QS Tent Campers board)

djmiller

Hi Deb,

I actually fired off an email to our current tent manufacturer to get that answer. I will let you know as soon as I hear back.

-Dan

Deb Z

djmiller

Quote from: Deb Z on February 16, 2017, 01:47:33 PM
Any news on this yet?

Deb,

I got the following reply from our supplier:

"We received a response from our supplier.  The material passed a cold impact test.  The test was done at -20 for fifteen minutes.  I would say that common sense would need to come in to play  when attempting to camp in these type of conditions."

-Dan

Deb Z

I'm pretty sure I'm not going camping at -20 degrees but this doesn't really help me to know if it's safe for my canvas and window materials to be set up and folded down in 40+ degree temps.

Mjmoore17

Deb

I have camped numerous times in my QS6.0 at temperatures around 30. I have never noticed any problems with tent or cover. Cover is slightly stiffer and difficult to snap but could be my cold fingers.

Michael
QS6 w Jeep Willys TV

djmiller

Quote from: Deb Z on February 26, 2017, 03:33:10 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm not going camping at -20 degrees but this doesn't really help me to know if it's safe for my canvas and window materials to be set up and folded down in 40+ degree temps.

40+ is not what I would consider that cold.  I am sure that is fairly common.  You mentioned Winter in Wisconsin to me that meant well below freezing.
It is has been tested to -20 I would think 40+ is not a problem.

-Dan