Propane generators

Started by Ellen, February 05, 2017, 08:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellen

I'm wondering if anyone is using a propane inverter generator. When we don't have an electrical site our 13QBB trailer battery isn't able to even run the fridge.

djsamuel

If your battery can't run the refrigerator (using propane as well), there is an issue.  The battery should be able to do that for many hours.  If you are trying to run the refrigerator in elctric mode from the battery, then you're correct, that can't be done from the battery.  Propane mode uses the battery to power the refrigerator control system.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Ellen

We were trying to run it with propane but needed battery power as well to keep it going. This is our first trailer and we thought it could run for a couple of days lol. It seemed to start the fridge once and then was too weak to keep it going. So we thought maybe a generator for those times when we don't have electricity available.

7thunders

This is where i'm curious if a Solar charger would generate enough energy to keep the battery powered to allow the refrigerator to continue running off propane and also provide basic lighting etc.
Anyone use the Zamp soler panels or similiar for this reason.

Rob
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser

tinkeringtechie

Quote from: Ellen on February 07, 2017, 06:23:18 AM
We were trying to run it with propane but needed battery power as well to keep it going. This is our first trailer and we thought it could run for a couple of days lol. It seemed to start the fridge once and then was too weak to keep it going. So we thought maybe a generator for those times when we don't have electricity available.

Something's not right. The fridge should be able to run for at least a couple days on propane with an average battery. Was the battery dead after it gave up? Pretty much any device in your trailer uses more than the fridge in propane mode. Did the water pump still run? The pump uses way more power than the fridge. Either your battery has issues or the fridge is malfunctioning.

There's also an easy modification to the fridge to disable the frame heater than will make it run more than twice as long. Details here: http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=144.0

Graham

As mentioned already, the fridge should run for several weeks on one propane bottle, using only minimal battery usage. 

But regarding propane generators, I have a Honda eu2000i inverter generator that I installed a propane conversion kit from propanecarbs.com. Easy diy install and now have option of running gas or connecting to the propane tank when 110v is needed while boondocking.

Paul

Quote from: Ellen on February 05, 2017, 08:29:54 PM
I'm wondering if anyone is using a propane inverter generator. When we don't have an electrical site our 13QBB trailer battery isn't able to even run the fridge.

That happened to me that I couldn't run the fridge on propane with my battery. I replaced my battery and after that I was fine. Not sure what was the problem with it
http://aluminumcamperforum.com
2014 Ford Escape
2016 Ford F150 XTR 2.7l ecoboost  4x4
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2018 Camplite 21BHS (on order)

Silverfox

Hi Graham, will that Honda eu2000i inverter generator be able to power a 1500w hairdryer? How quiet are they? Does that propane conversion kit connect with a snap connector like the ones used for grills? The reason why I ask is, we're thinking of boon docking this summer and my wife has to have a hair dryer.
We're lost...but we're making good time

Ellen

Thanks everyone! It's exciting to think that it could run for a week on propane and battery. The battery was dead after trying to ignite the fridge for a while - you could hear the fridge trying to light. Then my husband plugged the car into the trailer and the car battery died. We will try with a new battery and see what happens.

Graham

Quote from: Silverfox on February 15, 2017, 12:53:20 PM
Hi Graham, will that Honda eu2000i inverter generator be able to power a 1500w hairdryer? How quiet are they? Does that propane conversion kit connect with a snap connector like the ones used for grills? The reason why I ask is, we're thinking of boon docking this summer and my wife has to have a hair dryer.

I can't say I've tried it myself, but it should be able to run the hair dryer with no problems. The Honda is about the quietest generator you can get, but you can still hear it running of course. Here's a good video of one running https://youtu.be/DR2X6ypIYnY

The propane kit uses the same connectors that attach a grill to a propane tank...I believe it's a screw type connector.

bae146

What model fridge do you have? Some have a heater element to defrost/dehumidify the inside.  It sucks a lot of battery juice. 

Ellen

No, we don't have a defrost on this one, but thank you for trying to help us figure it out.

Silverfox

Thanks Graham, I'm experimenting with a DC/AC inverter to power the hair dryer. I can get by w/o AC power except for the hair dryer. A friend has a 2000W inverter that's powered by an RV battery that does run a hair dryer. I'm going to check it out and if that doesn't work I'm going to get that generator.
We're lost...but we're making good time

Mitch

I'm a bit late to this conversation but.... Your fridge uses about 1/2 an amp per hour of battery while running on propane.  It's the electronic controller board uses that power.  That means that you use about 12 amp hours per day of battery power for the fridge.  If you have the standard battery set-up that comes with the camper you have about 75 amp hours of power (you shouldn't use more than 40 of that's but that a different post) Anyway, the fridge uses 12 amp hours per day, the other "stuff" uses some power too and of course if you have lights on and use the water pump that's all going to use battery power.  Long and short of it is that you'll use somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 amp hours per day of battery power which means you could go threeish days before your battery is completely dead. (75 divided by 20)  If you're fridge, on propane, only lasts a few hours something is definitely wrong.  I'm guessing you already looked into the obvious stuff like making sure the fridge is on Auto and using propane as opposed to DC which uses only the battery.  So the easiest thing to do is replace the battery and see if that solves the problem.  If not then it's more likely a fridge issue. 

Mitch

DavidM

Mitch:

Do all Dometic refrigerator models that are found on LL's use 1/2 amp DC for their controls? Seems like a lot. I haven't measured it, but I guess I can believe 1/2 amp when the LPG solenoid is on and the burner is lit, but can it use that much long term on average? My fridge cycles  less than 50% on after it has cooled down.

I too have a single 70 AH battery and although I have only camped in one place for two days, it seems like my battery was less than 1/2 discharged (SG measurement) which leads me to believe that my average daily AH usage was about 15. If 12 of that was the fridge, that doesn't leave me much for everything else.

I will measure the fridge current draw with and without the burner lit in several weeks when we break out our camper from storage and post the results.

David