110 v. 12v outlets

Started by K Syrah Syrah, April 16, 2019, 07:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K Syrah Syrah

So, something a TAD annoying for us is the USB outlets do not function unless you are plugged into shore power. Is this the norm? Is there an easy fix to hardwire a 12v outlet in lieu of a 110? We do have external USB (cell phone) battery backup, but it would be nice to have a dedicated onboard outlet...in case "someone" forgets the power pack.
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
...as Doris says, with a bold red in hand, "Whatever will be, will be."
😁🍷

DavidM

Well, I must agree that it is pretty silly to supply a USB outlet with 120V when the trailer has a perfectly good 12V system available. The whole principle of most camping trailers is to run everything on DC if at all possible.

So having said that, you just need to remove the existing USB outlet, pull back the 120V power cable to a logical termination point-  either the breaker or a junction box and either remove the wire or wire nut it safe.

Then find a source of DC nearby. You won't need much power, maybe an amp or two so a light fixture would work.Then wire new DC cable from that source to the new USB outlet.

David

K Syrah Syrah

;D   OR....find a friend that has some skills in this area! I'm slightly handy, but know my limitations.

Anyone in our community actually have a dedicated 12v outlet for recharging your tech gadgets? I'm curious if Livin Lite just skipped this feature altogether.
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
😁🍷

nhlakes

Quote from: K Syrah Syrah on April 16, 2019, 10:12:57 PM
Anyone in our community actually have a dedicated 12v outlet for recharging your tech gadgets? I'm curious if Livin Lite just skipped this feature altogether.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that more than half the owners have installed additional 12v outlets. ;)

Checkout aluminumcamperforurm.com if you have not already.  Most of the action here went there when LL was shutting down - lots of mods to read about.  Facebook group also has activity but more mods/technical stuff on aluminum camper forum.
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

K Syrah Syrah

Ooh...that is great to know! Thanks! I'm going to check that out,
!
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
😁🍷