Recaulking over silicone

Started by Sylvain, March 30, 2019, 08:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvain

Hello everyone,
We received our new 2013 Camplite 13QBB yesterday!  The trailer will need a very good caulking job.  I read almost every thread regarding caulking but couldn't find the answer to my questions.  Almost every joints need to be recaulked.  Even the seam at the front of the trailer where the aluminium sheets meets as to be recaulked.  The thing is that I noticed the trailer was caulked with silicone from the factory.  I also know that nothing sticks to silicone and thats it's very hard to remove too.  So my question is, what do you do to maintain your joints?  Do you recaulk over the old silicone or do you remove it?  If so, how do you remove it so that the new sealant will stick properly to the aluminium?  I was thinking about using Proflex but that silicone thing is bugging me!!

Thanks for your help........Sylvain

Sylvain

Oh, one more question!  Is the roof insulated with mineral wool or styrofoam or both?  Just wondering in case there is any water leaking trough the roof in the future.

chappy133

Howdy,

Try a search of "Aluminum Campers Forum" they have a few posts on caulking and silicone.

I siliconed over the front seam on our 16 TBS yesterday. Was only leaking with driving in the rain.

Chuck
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

Sylvain

Ok thanks for your reply Chuck.  I'll have a look at the Aluminium Trailer Forum.

Sylvain