What we learned from Dealers!

Started by dmhlewis, February 05, 2019, 10:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmhlewis

A little history first. We bought a Campsite 16BHB back in Oct of 2017 brand new. We love our little trailer, it has treated us well this past year. But we knew that down the road we would like to go just a little bigger. Our plan was to eventually graduate to the 21BHS but then Livin' Lite got shut down. We believed in this company and the product they delivered. I know from reading other posts the 2017 to 2018 models, are not quite up to par with the previous years. But our 2017 had no issues.  We were disappointed to hear their doors were closing and thus began our search for something that would be just as well made and held to a higher standard.

We have found our new trailer and will trade in our 16BHB for the newer bigger unit. But we wanted to share with you what dealers were telling us about our 16BHB in case there are other CampLite Owners out there looking to trade/sell within the next year or so.

Over the last few months we decided it was time to upgrade, and in doing so we learned  from Dealers (In FL, NC, NJ and SC, all over the east coast) our Trailer is now considered an "Orphan" because Livin' Lite no longer exist. These dealers told us this information off the cuff, telling us this information and suggesting that even if we do not buy from them that it would be in our best interests to do the trade with a dealer (any) as soon as possible. That if we don't do a deal now with trade or sell it out right, another year or 2 out the RV Consumer out there will never ever have heard about Livin' Lite or that they even existed. Being that these are rare to find to begin with it would become an RV that would be hard to sell out right and the value of the camper would be in the tank on trade-in value.

Just wanted to share.

nhlakes

A salesman pressured you to close the deal immediately??? Shocking!  ;)

He may be right though that your average salesman (with limited knowledge) would consider a LL an orphan which would make it harder to sell to Joe general public.

I have faith however that there are enough people out there who will appreciate the long term value of an all aluminum camper.   You'll just need to target buyers who understand camper construction.   This is who I would sell to anyway, so the fact that some random salesman doesn't know what a LL is doesn't bother me.

When I heard LL was shutting down, I immediately started to search for the exact year/model I wanted (new or used) before they were gone.   I eventually found a (very) left over 800 miles away and bought it.

PS: I just returned from a 3+ week 3300 mile trip with my CL21RBS.  I was filling up at a gas station and some random dude in a truck was admiring my camper.  He knew about Camplites and the all aluminum construction.  He did NOT know that Thor recently shut them down and was very disappointed.  He had planned purchasing one within the next year,
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

ADR

I think it was a pressure tactic.

I just paid the annual property tax on my 2018 16TBS.  The tax authority hit me with a value much more than I paid for the unit.  About $3K more.*
Went down there to protest by showing them my bill of sale and they reduced it to that value- but said next year is anybody's guess as they get the values from NADA and other sources.  Point being over a year after I bought NADA values the unit at more than I paid new.

There is very little proprietary in most campers- all the appliances are industry standards and in the case of Livin'Lite all the ones I've seen do not have one off fiberglass end caps etc.   So, IMO, the manufacturer being gone would have little bearing on value, especially after a couple of years.

*Chatting with the lady at the tax office I commented that even though we are happy with our Camplite if someone wanted to buy it for $3K more than I paid for it I'd gladly let it go. ;)

klaker

LL shutdown because thor is run by a bunch of scumbags, they are the ones that destroyed these unique trailers and any knowledgeable buyer will know that.

The dealer is using a typical sales tactic and any reasonably smart person will see right through it. Personally I think these campers will hold their value because what is the alternative? a POS press board and stapled together junker? I"ll take my chances with my orphaned LL.

Herman

I just talked to a an RV salesman in Atlanta, he told me that they just sold a used 2014 Camplite for $14k, as far as I remember the MSRP was $22k or so, and he doesn't think the re-sell price go any lower than that. He even recommended me to keep my Camplite because of the all aluminum built, he even said "yours is one of the good ones because its all aluminum". Very honest guy. So far, I haven't seen any other all-aluminum RV around, even Airstreams have wood floors and cabinetry.
One more thing, all parts in my Camplite are commercially available parts, no worries about finding a replacement.

chappy133

There is one all Aluminum RV trailer manufacture still out there but it is a toy hauler.  If we ever have replace our LL we are going to give this company a serious look over (Not Thor): http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

KHUDinAZ

LL: 2013 Camp Life M-CL16DB (16tf travel trailer w/ double bed, fold out couch)
TV: 2010 Toyota Sequoia

K Syrah Syrah

;) Sure....if you like the horse trailer aesthetic!
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
...as Doris says, with a bold red in hand, "Whatever will be, will be."
😁🍷

adamusa

Very a great article. I have read many articles mapquest but this is the most informative and useful one for me.

blackhawk

Hey fellow RV enthusiasts! 👋

Just wanted to drop in and share my recent experience. I've been hitting the road with my trusty RV for the past few months, exploring some of the most scenic spots. There's nothing quite like the freedom of the open road and the comfort of your home on wheels. 🚐🌄

On my latest adventure, I found this incredible lakeside spot, perfect for some fishing and stargazing. It's moments like these that make RV life absolutely unbeatable. Plus, meeting fellow travelers and sharing stories around a campfire is always a highlight for me.

Speaking of stories, I met a guy last week who was all about brain games and IQ tests. We ended up having this fun challenge using an real IQ test. Turns out, spending so much time navigating the roads and fixing up the RV does wonders for your problem-solving skills! Who knew RVing could be such a brain exercise? 🧠😄

Anyway, I'm planning my next trip down the southwest. If anyone has recommendations for must-see places or great RV parks, I'm all ears. Let's keep sharing the joy of RV life and all the adventures that come with it!

Safe travels and happy trails, everyone! 🌟

namagama37

There is minimal uniqueness in the majority of campers, as most appliances adhere to industry standards. In the case of Livin'Lite, the ones I've come across lack distinctive features like one-off fiberglass end caps, etc. Therefore, in my opinion, the absence of the manufacturer would likely have minimal impact on the value, particularly after a few years. geometry dash