Wheel wells leaking in the rain

Started by Mr Smith, January 24, 2019, 01:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Smith

Does anybody have the same problem as I do. I have a 2017 21 RBS.  Every time I drive in the rain the floor of my travel trailer is flooded  really bad. I have tried 4"  eterna bond tape,  and spray sealer. Nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Mr Smith
PS yes the water is coming from the wheel wells I followed the dirt trails back to them.
2017 CL 21RBS  aluminum cabinets, dinette
2000 Ford E-150 4.6L  conversion van

DavidM

We all have that problem. I sealed mine with a hardware store caulking on the horizontal gaps and used polyurethane expanding foam that comes in a spray can for the big gaps in the aluminum channels. Those gaps are quite wide so you need a sealant that will bridge them. Remove the tires so you can get underneath and see. Make sure you completely fill the gaps front and back in the aluminum floor channels as water can get back there and up to the floor between the gaps in the channels. Here are some before and after pics:

David

djsamuel

I sealed mine with Geocell sealant.  That took care of it.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Mr Smith

Thank you for the replies I will try them, After I get the recall fixed on the drawbar cracks. Keep the solutions coming. Thank you Mr Smith
2017 CL 21RBS  aluminum cabinets, dinette
2000 Ford E-150 4.6L  conversion van

7thunders

Has everyone had this problem?  I fortunately have not had to drive in the rainy conditions, so i'm not sure i have the problem but want to be prepared ..
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser

rrtrntowing

We have a 2018 CL21RBS.  We purchased it Feb of 2018.  We have about 10K miles on it now.  We went through several heavy rains with no  leaking wheel well problems.

nhlakes

I have 2016 CL21RBS and just returned from 3+ weeks in FL.  We had trailered 4-5 hours in heavy rain one day and for the first time got some water in around wheel-well under the slide and some appeared to come from under the fridge (wheel well extends in there as well.)

Believe it or not this is the first real issue that I have had with the camper.   We have used it a lot and it has been outstanding quality wise.

I bought it new in April last year (in IN as a leftover) so it is still on warranty.  I have the option of having it looked at by a dealer.   A tad nervous about having a dealer without any knowledge of LL's make things worse.

Pics show a little water after spraying up into wheel well with hose to test after we got home.

2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

nhlakes

Realized I hadn't updated this thread... I brought my LL into a KZ dealer a couple of weeks ago and it was fixed on warranty.  Charged directly to KZ.   They removed wheel(s) saw some gaps and filled them up.  Haven't 'tested' it, but the smell of caulk/silicone/whatever inside the camper when I picked it up was an indicator that there were some gaps. Will spray some water back up there when it warms up to test.
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

Smoky

Our 2017 CL21RBS has leaked since day one. The leaks are from under the dinette slide out.  The dealer sealed the wheel wells, but that didn't fix the problem. I'll try the suggestions made in this post. Keep the ideas coming.

chappy133

Our 16 TBS leaked via the wheel well after purchase and had it repaired under warranty but I am noticing a leak again.  Another project to adde to the list.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA