Flashing Side Lights

Started by PDX David, February 18, 2019, 10:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDX David

Anyone else have this problem - or know the cause/fix?

When trailer power cord connected to tow vehicle and tow vehicle turned off - my trailer side lights have a trace amount of electricity reaching them and causing a continuous flashing of the lights.  Very faint, but noticeable (and I'm guessing irritating to campground neighbors) after dark.  Unplugging from TV will stop this.

The one positive 'feature' of this issue is when hooking the power cord to the TV I can look at a side light for the flashing and know the connection is good.

.....David
Portland, OR. / 2016  Camplite 16TBS towed by Mercedes ML350

DavidM

Just a guess, but I will bet that your tow vehicle has an electronic road light management system and not hard switches and relays that traditionally switch that stuff. The electronics leaks a little current. I will bet that your led road lights on your TV are also getting a little power but are designed not to come on until the voltage is up to near 12V. Your trailer side lights even though led also try to come on but at the lower voltage, pull the voltage down and switch off, the voltage rises again and goes through that cycle again and again.

If my theory is correct perhaps the only thing you can do is install Mercedes led's in your trailer  :).

David

PDX David

Sounds like a good theory. I'll see if I can replace LED bulb with a higher quality one, though hopefully I can find one someplace other than the Mercedes dealer - where it will likely cost 2 or 3 times more.

.........David

PDX David

First, I did a little Googling and found there is a similar problem with some vehicle turn signals, referred to as "hyperflashing", with some new after-market lights available specifically designed to prevent this from occurring.  But, no similar mention or products for trailer side lights.

So, I took a chance on ordering some replacement side-lights, hoping they were of higher quality (since they would be at least 4 years newer then those on my trailer) with advanced bulbs or circuitry - but no such luck, they also flashed.  I'm currently in conversation with the distributor/manufacturer about the "reason I am returning" in case they may have some advice or solution.

I did read some suggestions on "how to" fix the hyperflashing turn signals that involved installed a resistor in the turn signal wiring. While trying the replacement light I read the voltage leak as .20 volts. So, I'm wondering if I added a resistor (of what size?) to the yet to be isolated wire either in/before the towing plug or on the trailer side of the wiring cord - that might work.

That's my next path.

...........David