Help me decide!

Started by Stasialm, January 03, 2019, 05:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stasialm

Looking at a camplite 16tbs....
It seems very nice from walkthrough.
Also considering rpod 191 (another twin bed model) and hymer....
Would like opinions re:best choice...
We are a traveling couple with a dog, so don't need much room...and we are first time tow-ers so
Like the smaller trailers.
Thanks in advance for any comments/wisdom...

chappy133

We love our 16 TBS.  Our Neighbors have an R-POD, a great product, but I feel our TBS is lighter than the R-POD.  The "deciding" feature that we like about the TBS is both of us can get in and out of bed without climbing over each other in a camper under 20".  Since we are both in our late 50 so there is more overnight visits to the head is occurring.  The slide out on a camper of this size makes a great difference too. Enjoy your new camper.   
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

DavidM

We have a 2013 16TBS and like it for the reasons mentioned above. The dealer swapped out the dinette for a short sofa from another LL on his lot and we much prefer the sofa. I think later on the factory started offering both types of slide outs. From a layout standpoint it is almost ideal for a couple (who doesn't want to cuddle together at night  :). The lack of a sink in the bath is ok for us, but others have added foldup sinks that seem to work well. The sofa is kind of crude and not very comfortable to sit on. The location of the reading lights is a joke. But those nits are minor given the overall package.

Here is a short history of the development of the 16TBS and LLs in general. I may have the dates a bit wrong, so ask about any specific unit you are considering:

From 2012 (or maybe earlier) to about 2015 they were built traditionally with all aluminum sides, roof and floor and Azdel interior paneling and aluminum frame cabinets covered with Azdel.

In 2016 or thereabouts they started building them with composite floors and rubber roofs as well as less industrial looking interiors.

Then in 2017 they went to single axles. That change reduced the payload carrying capacity but in practice it really doesn't matter much except for a little less redundancy with single axles.

Some like the changes and some don't. I am ok with most of them but I definitely like our traditionally built 2013.

David

Stasialm

Thanks for the input!
Now, I'm confused... dealer is telling me it is all aluminum
Yet what I'm reading here a 2017 has rubber roof and a laminate floor?
Is there any way I can tell what I'm getting by looking at the unit or feeling the floor?
It has a front that is clearly aluminum halfway down, the upper part is same as sides —- smooth —- but no idea what It is....any halo appreciated.
Thanks, stasia

DavidM

Well, looking at the top of the roof should be obvious- aluminum sheet vs rubber, but not the front oval which has always been aluminum.

For the floor, look underneath, near the wheel wells. If aluminum the aluminum floor sections with narrow ribs skould be visible.

The dealers new, old stock could be all aluminum.

David

nhlakes

Quote from: Stasialm on January 06, 2019, 08:23:26 PM
Thanks for the input!
Now, I'm confused... dealer is telling me it is all aluminum
Yet what I'm reading here a 2017 has rubber roof and a laminate floor?
Is there any way I can tell what I'm getting by looking at the unit or feeling the floor?
It has a front that is clearly aluminum halfway down, the upper part is same as sides —- smooth —- but no idea what It is....any halo appreciated.
Thanks, stasia

If you post a picture of the roof (have dealer provide ladder), inside, outside, and the underside of the trailer, we can probably tell you what it is made out of.   

The dealer may not be intentionally misleading you.  It's just as likely they just don't know any better.  Salesman are often very good at sounding authoritative when they actually have very little evidence to support their opinions.   

If it is/was an actual LL dealer - they SHOULD know what changes were made in each year.

Sad, but these days, with just about every purchase I make, I go in assuming that I am going to know more about the product than the salesman.  I'm pleasantly surprised when that is not the case.
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

Stasialm

Thanks, fellow campliters!
Really appreciate your help.
I will try to post pix of roof
Stasia

chappy133

Our single axle TBS was off the line LL line in January 2016.  It was one of the last aluminum roofs. They went to TPO roofs by February.  Later on they got rid of the aluminum floors and went to a laminate floor.  The "all aluminum" they may be referring to is the frame.  I looked on the LL website and only dealer stock trailers are now available.  Happy Trails. 
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

irka-dirka

We just bought our first trailer.  2 yr old 16TBS in great condition for $18k. Probably around 8k miles on it.  They upgraded the leather-type couch and twin mattresses.

Would appreciate any advice on using and maintaining the trailer. Am going to wash it and put on a nice coat of wax, for starters.

chappy133

Check out aluminum camper forum. Lots of mods on that site.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA