2018 RBS 21 Platinum, first timer hot water heater

Started by rrtrntowing, April 23, 2018, 01:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrtrntowing

We are new owners of CL 21 RBS Platinum and new to travel trailering also.  We went on our first rip this week end to a near by RV park that had water/electric/sewage.  All went well except we could not get the hot water heater to work.  Does the hot water heater light automatically or do I need to light it manually out side at the panel?  We hooked up to park water and blew all the antifreeze and air out of the lines and ran all the faucets until they ran clear and without air.  Shouldn't this have filled the hot water heater?  I also disconnected from park water and filled the fresh water tank.  Turned on the pump and ran water till clear and air bled from the lines.  The pump only ran when I turned on a faucet so I assume the hot water heater filled.  Still neither the electric nor the gas heater heated the water. We had the hot water heater switches on.  Any ideas?

DavidM

Does your hot water heater have a winterization bypass? This is a valve that bypasses the water heater so you don't have to fill they whole thing with antifreeze. The bypass needs to be open after you flush out the antifreeze in the hot water system.

There are two types of water heaters: AC and gas and gas only. Either one should work if your propane system is on and the electric works if it is plugged into shore power. But there is a switch on the side of the heater that needs to be on for the electric heating to work.

David

nhlakes

The attached pdf/post from another forum helped me understand the water heater in my 21RBS much better than the manual.
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

rrtrntowing

Thanx to both.  Very helpful.  Im certain I have burned out my element as I had the switch on for several hours awaiting hot water.  Wonder what that will cost.

Liam

Perhaps you have already solved this problem, but if not, and it came to you at a great price, I recommend buying a new one. My wife and I immediately removed the standard version and installed our own, here you can consider suitable options for reviews on them.