Is delamination a issue?

Started by rebar, December 30, 2018, 08:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebar

Hi everyone.

Another Camplite came up on my radar and I'm wondering if Livin Lite's 16DB walls were vacuum bonded, mainly the luan part.. Or did they bond aluminum to the foam and frame with a indissoluble glue?

Thanks

DavidM

AFAIK, LL walls are aluminum sheet attached to aluminum frame members. Inside there is Azdel attached to the aluminum frame members. The foam insulation is in between the two and not attached.

David

rebar

Quote from: DavidM on December 30, 2018, 09:01:35 PM
AFAIK, LL walls are aluminum sheet attached to aluminum frame members. Inside there is Azdel attached to the aluminum frame members. The foam insulation is in between the two and not attached.

David

Thanks David. 

It sounds like from your description that LL walls are built like enclosed trailers and not vacuum bonded?  Iv read about "bonded" and learned manufactures are using water soluble glue due to the epa regulations.

What happens to a LL wall/roof when water leaks in?   Because I'm the buy and hold type of person and from my past experience with a featherlite its not if, but when.. 

DavidM

There is no glue in the wall structure, so any rain water that leaks in around the roof seams would just run down and out with no effect.

David

nhlakes

Manufacturing processed changed in the Thor years. Here are some details on how things were made at some point in 2017.   A year or so earlier they all had aluminum roof/floor/walls.  I have a 2016 CL21RBS that was made in late 2015 and has alum roof/floor/walls with vinyl over the alum floor and some wood trim on the cabinets.

https://www.livinlite.com/brochures/2017/Livin-Lite-Plant-Tour-2017.pdf
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

rebar

Quote from: DavidM on December 31, 2018, 07:42:12 AM
There is no glue in the wall structure, so any rain water that leaks in around the roof seams would just run down and out with no effect.
David
Quote from: nhlakes on December 31, 2018, 10:30:08 AM
Manufacturing processed changed in the Thor years. Here are some details on how things were made at some point in 2017.   A year or so earlier they all had aluminum roof/floor/walls.  I have a 2016 CL21RBS that was made in late 2015 and has alum roof/floor/walls with vinyl over the alum floor and some wood trim on the cabinets.

https://www.livinlite.com/brochures/2017/Livin-Lite-Plant-Tour-2017.pdf

Thanks nhlakes..   That's amazing. But page 51 says fiberglass exterior?

I emailed the owner of the 2013 16DB and was told.. "it is my understanding that is is laminated vacuum bonded aluminum."    I'm not having any luck contacting KZ on the phone about this so far.. ::)

From the look of the pictures on nhlakes link, they laminate using glue, but no wood.   Now my question is, which glue. And why does page 51 say fiberglass?

nhlakes

Quote from: rebar on December 31, 2018, 03:37:24 PM
Thanks nhlakes..   That's amazing. But page 51 says fiberglass exterior? ...

Hence my comment about manufacturing changing post Thor.  I think early 2016 models were the last all aluminum exterior (roof/walls/floor).  A 2013 is definitely all aluminum. 

PS: Much of the conversation here moved to aluminumcamperforum.com awhile back.
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

K Syrah Syrah

I decided to go with the Camplite BECAUSE of the Azdel walls and fiberglass. I had researched travel trailers for some time, and was also concerned about delamination. I have not read anything on this forum about issues with it...unless I missed it. Since there is nothing in my trailer that will soak up water (like wood) there's little chance for any buckling between materials.
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
...as Doris says, with a bold red in hand, "Whatever will be, will be."
😁🍷

ADR

Quote from: K Syrah Syrah on April 16, 2019, 10:30:31 PM
Since there is nothing in my trailer that will soak up water (like wood) there's little chance for any buckling between materials.

Exactly- a major cause of delamination IMO is wood swelling when wet.    Azdel and fiberglass don't swell if they get wet.

Liam

The whole blame for the wood, only it can not survive the rains, I came across this personally, I had to completely change everything because I sensed rot at some point.

juiweasley

If water were to intrude into the walls or roof, the lack of wood components in the construction mapquest reduces the risk of rot and delamination compared to traditional RV construction methods.

timothyferriss

Manufacturers may update their construction techniques and materials over time, so the most accurate information would come from Livin Lite themselves or their official NFL Grid documentation for the specific model you're interested in.