Camping Ideals

Started by TimothyMparker, December 08, 2018, 08:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimothyMparker

When You make a plan for the camping what should you the first time? What things do you consider first?
Timothy

DavidM

Well, not sure what you mean, but this was what we did for a shake down campout with our new LL camper:

Since we like to camp in rustic NFS campground, State Parks, and NPS parks we picked a NFS campground near us, about 45 miles away so if we needed to abort it could easily be done.

I had already checked out all systems in our driveway: fresh water, water heater, toilet, slide, lights, etc. No point in going camping if one of these doesn't work. Also checked the tire pressures on both the camper and the TV.

We towed to the campground, picked our site and backed in. We chocked the wheels, unhooked (but kept the chain on), leveled the camper, dropped the corner scissor jacks and unhooked the chain and drove the TV forward a bit.

We got our stuff out of the pass through: camp chairs and portable grill and set up. All worked well.

When we left the next morning we stopped by the dump station even though the tanks were no where near full and I dumped them just to know how that worked.

We towed home, backed into our drive way, chocked the wheels and unhooked.

Successful shakedown!!

David

ADR

Quote from: DavidM on December 08, 2018, 12:52:59 PM

We towed to the campground, picked our site and backed in. We chocked the wheels, unhooked (but kept the chain on), leveled the camper, dropped the corner scissor jacks and unhooked the chain and drove the TV forward a bit.

That keeping the chain hooked up is very important- until you are absolutely certain the trailer won't roll!
Many years ago I unhooked the chains once before I lifted a trailer off the ball...watched in horror as it moved about 2 ft-   whew! That was close...
Lesson learned to always leave the chains on until last when unhooking. ;)

irka-dirka

usually I ask myself next questions:

1. what food will we cook to eat
2. where we will sleep - a tent installation
3. what activity we perform after eathing - games/telling stories etc.

7thunders

Another suggestion is   sleep in your camper right at home for one night, just get a feel for it, as if you were at a camp ground.   Go through the motions.  Also picking out a camp site with Power? water? sewage?.    try out  your antenna for tv if you choose to, run as many things within the camper to see that they work, try out the heat, microwave, AC, of course you may need to have that 30 amp hookup for the AC.  Imagine how you will pack things up as well when getting ready for your real trip.
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser