Dec 2018, Arizona area, where is good place to get modifications done on Camp Li

Started by KHUDinAZ, November 30, 2018, 09:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KHUDinAZ

I'm thinking of:
Adding a rooftop solar package
Adding a second propane tank with auto-switchover
Switching to a two 6-volt golf cart battery system
Backup camera or additional exterior lighting
Maybe another awning on drivers, port side (do nautical terms work for RVs?)
Maybe a roof rack that could hold a lightweight boat
Maybe a back bumper extension deck

I realize some of these may be DIY but if I would rather pay to get it done professionally, where should I go?
LL: 2013 Camp Life M-CL16DB (16tf travel trailer w/ double bed, fold out couch)
TV: 2010 Toyota Sequoia

DavidM

Your wish list is very common for RVs and any RV repair place should be able to do them like Campingworld. See below for some comments:

Quote from: KHUDinAZ on November 30, 2018, 09:58:17 AM
I'm thinking of:
Adding a rooftop solar package- Be sure that where you camp is open. Mine aren't.
Switching to a two 6-volt golf cart battery system- Adding both of these will increase tongue weight significantly, at least 100 lbs. Can your TV handle it?
Maybe a back bumper extension deck- Make sure that you reinforce bumper with new aluminum members that are welded to frame. This will reduce tongue weight but not as much as the batteries and propane tank because the bumper is closer to the wheels.

I realize some of these may be DIY but if I would rather pay to get it done professionally, where should I go?

nhlakes

If you are in AZ and are into RVs you must be familiar with Quartzite.  If not, check it out.  About a million RVers hang out there in the winter.

http://www.quartzsitervshow.com/

PS: Point being you'll find lots of companies willing to do the work you referenced in and around Quartzite in the winter.  AZ is awesome for solar so lots of solar installers will be in the area as well.

2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

KHUDinAZ

Quote from: DavidM on November 30, 2018, 11:07:46 AM
Your wish list is very common for RVs and any RV repair place should be able to do them like Campingworld. See below for some comments:

Quote from: KHUDinAZ on November 30, 2018, 09:58:17 AM
I'm thinking of:
Adding a rooftop solar package- Be sure that where you camp is open. Mine aren't.
Switching to a two 6-volt golf cart battery system- Adding both of these will increase tongue weight significantly, at least 100 lbs. Can your TV handle it?
Maybe a back bumper extension deck- Make sure that you reinforce bumper with new aluminum members that are welded to frame. This will reduce tongue weight but not as much as the batteries and propane tank because the bumper is closer to the wheels.

Thank you, I had Camping World do a pre-purchase inspection for me,for starters they appeared to very busy almost too busy, it also appeared Camping World was a bit overpriced and not sure about the quality of work out of the technicians for doing modifications, they seemed like they could repair things they were familiar with but adding something to trailer where structural, weather seal, weight balance and tongue weight concerns should be considered might not be their wheelhouse.

KHUDinAZ

Quote from: nhlakes on November 30, 2018, 05:14:01 PM
If you are in AZ and are into RVs you must be familiar with Quartzite.  If not, check it out.  About a million RVers hang out there in the winter.

http://www.quartzsitervshow.com/

PS: Point being you'll find lots of companies willing to do the work you referenced in and around Quartzite in the winter.  AZ is awesome for solar so lots of solar installers will be in the area as well.

Thank you! I'm still working for the man and raising children so plans to hang out in Quartzite are many years away, but if you think it would be of value to tow the trailer out there and leave it for a week or two with for a great technician who could complete modifications better and less expensive than Phoenix area perhaps that is something I should consider.

klaker

Make sure you an in depth reference check of any RV repair shop and especially camping world. The reviews of some of these places are terrifying.

Many of these mods can be done on your own. You'll have a better understanding of your camper, the work will be better quality even if you've never done it before, and it will cost much less than paying someone to do it.