Ceiling Vent elevator arm gears slipping

Started by 7thunders, October 16, 2018, 05:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7thunders

Hi
Has anyone had their ceiling vent,(ours in the bathroom) not open because the gears may be stripped or lose?  I cannot open my vent.  i disassembled it and found that the shaft that turns/opens the metal rod/elevator arm slips where the screw / plastic wheel connects.  I cannot remove or tighten this screw that connects the plastic wheel .   Its a simple/minor part but is a little time consuming to take apart and now i'm trying to find a replacement gear/components.  I"ve contacted our dealer, where it is still under 2 yr warranty to see if they can replace it for me.
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser

nhlakes

Rather than trying to schedule a dealer to do anything, assuming that is an original Vortex fan with single speed single direction, then if you PM me I'll send you a working fan assembly for the cost of shipping.  I replaced mine with the upgrade mentioned below. 

I'd honestly consider the same. Very easy to upgrade to the Vortex II inner assembly that can go in/out and has multiple speeds. 

https://www.amazon.com/Roof-Vent-Vortex-Ugrade-Multi-Speed/dp/B00APSSPEA  Shop around as prices on this fan upgrade seem all over the map.

If you don't want the upgrade or to spend any money, you could also just ask LL/KZ to send you a new fan innards and replace yourself.  Easier and faster than a dealer.
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

7thunders

I'm fine with the fan that I have, just need that little white box you see in the pictures.   Got my dealer working on it, but how/where would I do not for LL/KZ contact? 
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser