Solid Surface Counters

Started by djsamuel, January 25, 2017, 12:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsamuel

I have a 2013 Camplite 21BHS.  I am just curious of it is possible to purchase the solid surface counter tops (including the fold up as well as the dinette table) to replace the laminate tops LivinLite used to sell.  I'm still using contact cement when the original counters delaminate, but am curious in case the future requires a replacement.

If they are available, are they dimensionally the same as the 2013s?

Thanks.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

djmiller

Unfortunately there were a few changes in the sink and the drop in cooktop that have changed.
I can send you an email containing the prints of what I believe you have in your camper.
You could confirm those were correct and have some made, or possibly make them yourself.
Can I use the email address you used for registration on the forum?

-Dan

djsamuel

Quote from: Dan Miller on January 25, 2017, 01:28:22 PM
Unfortunately there were a few changes in the sink and the drop in cooktop that have changed.
I can send you an email containing the prints of what I believe you have in your camper.
You could confirm those were correct and have some made, or possibly make them yourself.
Can I use the email address you used for registration on the forum?

-Dan

That would be great.  Would you be able to let me know the type of solid surface used?  I know there are several types, some much lighter than others.   The email I used in registration is good. Thanks Dan
2013 Camplite 21BHS

djmiller

Just sent them to you Doug. If you don't get them let me know.
-Dan

djsamuel

Got the email.  Thanks Dan.  :)
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Fatdog1

djsamuel, how did your solid counter top replacement go? I'm having the same problem with the laminate counter top popped up on the left side of sink, on my 2014 21 BHS. I was thinking of changing the size of the sink and replacing the counter top at the same time, with a solid counter top material. If you have any advise on material and how you did it is appreciated. 
Peter

djsamuel

Quote from: Fatdog1 on February 23, 2017, 11:58:29 AM
djsamuel, how did your solid counter top replacement go? I'm having the same problem with the laminate counter top popped up on the left side of sink, on my 2014 21 BHS. I was thinking of changing the size of the sink and replacing the counter top at the same time, with a solid counter top material. If you have any advise on material and how you did it is appreciated. 
Peter

Peter,

i haven't made the change yet.  I'm not sure what brand of countertop I'd use, but I think Corian would be a bit too heavy.  There is another brand of solid surface counter that is lighter, but the name escapes me at the moment.  I have managed to repair the counter in my camper by using good contact cement.  I place dowels under counter and spread contact cement on both surfaces.  after waiting the 10 minutes or so required by the cement, I remove the dowels and push the laminate down onto the subsurface.  This works well on the tops, but the contact cement will disolve the foam that is exposed if the laminate falls off the edges.

2013 Camplite 21BHS

Fatdog1

I'm going to fix mine for now, and look at few places to see what's available and cost. I found Granitelite.com, American Stone Cast and Corian by Dupont. I'm pretty sure it's Lama-light,  http://www.lama-light.com which supplies the RV and Marine MFR only. Lama-light material weight comparison is listed under Product Info, and shows how much weight for panel.  It looks like the same base material, looking at the installation procedures of the company adding American Stone Cast sink.American Stone Cast is another MFR.   

djmiller

Just a few comments to possibly help with your decision making.

If you are replacing counter-tops because you of durability or did not like the original lightweight counter tops before Livin'Lite upgraded to Solid Surface......
American Stonecast or Lami-lite  was the original supplier.  If you do not want to spend the big buck for custom solid surface counter tops, I would go to your local home improvement store and purchase stock counter top material, with or without a back splash, cut it down to fit, rout out the opening and be done for around $30-$50.  You can purchase end laminate for the ends if needed and if you cannot use the back splash on the counter top you purchased there are many options at you local home supply very similar to what we are now using.  You will find that most of the material sold in home improvement stores is 24" deep and has an integrated back-splash.  I just replaced all the old cast marble counter-tops in our 3 baths at home with high end laminate and did this but cutting the back splash off to take the depth down to the standard bath cabinet depth then cut down the piece with  the back-splash and refastened it to the counter top utilizing wood glue and screws from the back-side.

-Dan

Fatdog1

Dan, Thanks for the advise. We like the original Formica / Foam core counter top because it's lite and it has held up fine.  My de-lamination of the Formica after two years of use was probably from the base heat off the black and decker coffee pot. The heat probably effected the glue.   My experience with contact cement is surface prep, the right amount of glue on both surfaces for a good bond. But over time adhesion de-lamination problems happen.  It's time to fix it until it gets to a point of needing to order a new counter top.

Will LL continue to offer replacement  Formica / Foam core counters in next year or two?

djmiller

We have not used them for a couple of years now. For warranty purposes but not for stock.