Furnace Question

Started by livinlite, September 28, 2018, 02:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livinlite

I have a quicksilver 8.0 (2016) and can't get the furnance on. Any tips? We are camping and it's cold. It came on briefly when we first turned it on last night, but air was cold and it then shut off to never come back on. This is a new to us camper and our only second time out.

DavidM

It probably failed to light and shut off. You can try again, but maybe purging the gas system would work better. You probably have a propane stove. Does it work? If you haven't used it yet on this trip then try lighting it. It may take 10-20 seconds to purge all of the air out before it lights. Then if it lights then try the furnace again. If the stove won't light, then maybe you are out of propane.

David

smjcolsga

Quote from: livinlite on September 28, 2018, 02:00:04 PM
I have a quicksilver 8.0 (2016) and can't get the furnance on. Any tips? We are camping and it's cold. It came on briefly when we first turned it on last night, but air was cold and it then shut off to never come back on. This is a new to us camper and our only second time out.

One thing we 'discovered' ourselves when trying to turn on the furnace for the first time is that there is a small, undocumented, barely legibly labeled cutoff switch on top of the thermostat housing that needs to be switched 'on' for the furnace to work. This switch is very hard to flip 'on' .. i thought the plastic  was going to break before it 'snapped' into the on position .. it sounds like your furnace is stopping after the purge cycle, exactly how ours did when that switch is 'off' and the thermostat calls for heat.

livinlite

This is super helpful! I am going camping again this weekend and hope I can figure it out. I will light my stove first and have the switch in the on position, with the thermostat set.  That switch is very hard to get on! If you have time, I have a few more questions. The heat works off propane... I thought it was electric. How do we run things off the battery if we do not have a place to plug up?

smjcolsga

Quote from: livinlite on October 08, 2018, 03:03:35 PM
This is super helpful! I am going camping again this weekend and hope I can figure it out. I will light my stove first and have the switch in the on position, with the thermostat set.  That switch is very hard to get on! If you have time, I have a few more questions. The heat works off propane... I thought it was electric. How do we run things off the battery if we do not have a place to plug up?

The camper's electric control center will pull 12v current (only) from the battery when not plugged up to shore power.. which means no a/c or wall plug service. The 12vdc fan/lights, furnace blower and 12v 'cigarette lighter' plug will work as long as your battery holds up.