We got hit with Hail, but replace the roof/front?

Started by Gibby, September 22, 2018, 12:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibby

Well, back in the beginning of August, we got hit with hail. A busted roof vent, hole in the AC shroud, damage to the awning, and, of course, dents in the roof (metal) and the front orbit.

Fast forward, we just got the estimate, $7,000.00 to do repairs.

To be honest, the dents are on the roof, and top of the front orbit, and you can't see them from the ground. My concern, is fixing something completely cosmetic worth the risk of all that structural work.

Now here's the kicker, insurance company says fix it or there is no insurance for hail for the entire trailer going forward. Sorta forces my hand.

I saw a thread describing the same issue, wonder how things turned out.
2014 Camplite 21RBS
2021 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

DocktorJJ

Sound like the commercials I see on TV.  "Maybe, you have the wrong insurance company?"  Call your local TV consumer reporter bet they'd love this story.
2017 Camplite 21RBS
2015 Toyota Tundra
Central Florida

popup2012

Do what I did on a car with very light damage.  Cashed the check and changed insurance companies.

Gibby

We took the settlement, any further damage to the roof / front would have the money paid so far deducted first. Any thing we fix (Awning, AC Shroud) would be like new, any other damage (other than roof / front) is as new.

Too many people (and some experts) were screaming to not tear it apart. Come next year I am going to see if I can do some minor dent repair on my own, and get it re-inspected then.

Suffice to say camping season is done for the year  :'(
2014 Camplite 21RBS
2021 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L V6 EcoBoost