Author Topic: replacing mattress  (Read 1647 times)

gigik

• View Profile
replacing mattress
« on: September 07, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
I have a 6.0 with the queen bed. Mattress is crap.  I would like thoughts from anyone who has use high density memory foam as a substitute in terms of what thickness did you use as well as whether certain materials increase condensation.  I read on this forum that someone used a fire blanket underneath so curious what others have done! thanks

Momkitter

• View Profile
Re: replacing mattress
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »
I had the same problem.  I even offered the mattress for free to anyone who would pick it up.  No takers.  I replaced it with a queen aero bed.

Auntstix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 02:05:14 AM »
Only we can help each other in this regard.

Bcollins0822@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 02:09:10 PM »
We replaced our 6.0 "mattress" with 4" HD foam (sofa cushion foam) and my wife sewed covers for it. We made it into 3 pieces so it could be stored on the floor thereby making it easier to close the lid. We just finished 7 weeks on the road and I am so glad we made a new mattress.

JoyRide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
A new mattress will likely be our first modification to our new 8.1. Glad for everyone's input here.

chappy133

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 09:35:15 AM »
When we had our 6.0 we used a mattress topper.  Worked well but we still got some condensation. We put high density foam under the mattress which help cut down the moisture.  A 4 foam mattress should help with the condensation issue too.

Our 16 TBS came with the same crappy mattress as the 6.0 and they had to go too. 
Chuck
2016 16' TBS
2013 F 150
Easton, PA

nhlakes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »
Most RV mattresses are crap.  A 3-4" varying density memory foam topper usually works for us.   After some mega humidity and a couple days of rain in FL this Jan we added an air flow layer below.  From what I have read it's been popular in the boating community for many years and is catching on in the RV community.  https://www.mattressinsider.com/mattress-condensation-prevention.html

2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

colors of the wind

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 01:53:36 AM »
I have a 6.0 with the queen bed. Mattress is crap.  I would like thoughts from anyone who has use high density memory foam as a substitute in terms of what thickness did you use as well as whether certain materials increase condensation.  I read on this forum that someone used a fire blanket underneath so curious what others have done! thanks

We're in the same boat but our mattress won't last nearly as long as yours did - after only ten nights in our truck, mattress is junk and has two large dents worn in it (we weigh 170 & 130).
We installed a 4" memory foam + pillow top topper in our last RV and were pretty happy with it but I'd really like something lighter. Though, we haven't looked back. Just moved it from the old camper to our new one.

Another option is just to use 2 inch memory foam topper (I mean, without mattress), it's pretty light and easy to store. But it could work if you prefer firmer bedding.

Daver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 09:33:23 PM »
My wife and I have a queensize Lightspeed air mattress that we put under the factory mattress in our QS-6,  then make it up as a regular bed and we are Livin' Large!   I'm sure some day we will replace the factory mattress and will probably use some decent mattress topper.  :)

pleroux62

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 11:21:38 AM »
We have a 2016 Livin-Lite 6.0 and replaced the mattress after our first trip,  It was unbearable. We bought a 5" thick queen size double density / memory foam mattress and covered it with a breathable moisture barrier slipover. It does add some weight but offers home quality comfort.