Are camp lite's a good choice for overlanding rough roads? Narrow track.

Started by rebar, July 22, 2018, 12:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebar

Hello everyone..   :)

I posted here a year ago disappointed about the challenger door blistering problem which led me away from camplite's.   But I'm back, because Iv been searching for a rare 7x16 "narrow track" enclosed trailer to convert into a overland trailer, but it looks like camplite's are all ready a narrow track design and its just a door problem? Right?
Narrow track trailers are 7' wide with the wheels under in wheel wells, instead of outside in fenders.    This narrow track feature is important to me, because I don't want the trailer any wider than my truck on the narrow forest service roads I plan to travel on..

Anyway.  Has anyone taken their camplite's on bumpy rutty forest service roads? How do they hold up?  Wash boarded roads really tear vehicles and trailers up.

I'm considering a short 11-13' camplite, and would set it on a new longer frame for my motorcycle on the back and bigger water tank on the extended tongue.

Should I keep looking for a narrow track enclosed trailer with the ramp door I really want?   Or do you think a camplite might work out well if I put it on a new frame and axle?

Thanks!

DavidM

Since you are talking about a steel frame underneath the Camplite's existing aluminum one, to take the offroad pounding, then only the CL's upper structure has to cope with the offroad loads. That should work as it is a totally welded unit, sheathed in aluminum on the outside and Azdel on the inside with foam insulation in between.

CL's in that size are only 7' wide and all have the wheels internal in wheel wells.

Take a look at this link to a .pdf of factory photos: https://www.livinlite.com/brochures/2017/Livin-Lite-Plant-Tour-2017.pdf. It looks like it should be possible to cut away the existing main frame leaving only the floor and superstructure. You should look for a pre 2018 model with the aluminum plank flooring to do this. I am not sure that the new composite floor would work with what you plan to do. Also don't get a LL with the composite side walls. Aluminum is stronger! This of course means searching for a used unit. Watch this stie as well as the Aluminumcamperforum.com one for used ones for sale.

This rig with a new steel frame will add probably 500 lbs to the base LL camper's weight, but that probably isn't a problem.

Interesting idea and lots of work to make it happen.

David

rebar

Quote from: DavidM on July 22, 2018, 02:00:14 PM
Since you are talking about a steel frame underneath the Camplite's existing aluminum one, to take the offroad pounding, then only the CL's upper structure has to cope with the offroad loads. That should work as it is a totally welded unit, sheathed in aluminum on the outside and Azdel on the inside with foam insulation in between.

CL's in that size are only 7' wide and all have the wheels internal in wheel wells.

Take a look at this link to a .pdf of factory photos: https://www.livinlite.com/brochures/2017/Livin-Lite-Plant-Tour-2017.pdf. It looks like it should be possible to cut away the existing main frame leaving only the floor and superstructure. You should look for a pre 2018 model with the aluminum plank flooring to do this. I am not sure that the new composite floor would work with what you plan to do. Also don't get a LL with the composite side walls. Aluminum is stronger! This of course means searching for a used unit. Watch this stie as well as the Aluminumcamperforum.com one for used ones for sale.

This rig with a new steel frame will add probably 500 lbs to the base LL camper's weight, but that probably isn't a problem.

Interesting idea and lots of work to make it happen.

David

Thanks for the vote of confidence David.

I'm not sure about completely removing the frame because I'm sure the floor and probably the walls are attached to it, as one of its function is being the foundation so to speak..  My idea is to leave the frame and tongue alone, remove the axle and suspension and mount the trailer to my frame as is..  This way, someone could always convert it back to original.

Thanks for the tip about pre 2018 and Livin Lite with the composite side walls.  I'm only interested in narrow tracks and all the livin lite's Iv seen are wider than a truck. 

I found a few camplite's which got me thinking again..  I also noticed palomino makes a off road version which is also a narrow track, but I think it's wood construction..

I will miss the ramp door that my featherlite TH had..  Even if you dont have toy's, they make a great deck or fishing platform..

What I find interesting is the resistance cargo trailer manufactures have building anything over 14' with a single axle..  The palomino 179BHS Im eyeing has a single axle and is 17'