Water leaked in on the floor when I was traveling in heavy rain.

Started by kmeindin, July 18, 2018, 12:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmeindin

Hi, I have a 2011 16QBB all aluminum camp lite trailer. Travelling this summer holidays I had some water come in on the floor getting my rugs etc wet. I replaced the tires before my trip to Goodyear Marathons because the old tires were terrible. But I don't think that would change much ? Maybe throw more water into the wheel wells ? Should I jack the trailer up take the tires off and undercoat the wheel wells ? I have before but is it OK to jack up on the aluminum frame ? I used a piece of wood to support the jack its the only way I could think of doing it without damaging anything. Has anyone else had the problem of water getting in on the floor ? Thank you for your help. Ken

djsamuel

Get a good non-silicone caulk like Geocel Proflex RV and seal the joints in the wheel wells.  I would get water in my 2013 21BHS.  Once I sealed it, the inside stays dry; even when towing through heavy thunderstorms.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

chappy133

As DJS stated the wheel wells are most likely the culprit of the leak.  It was on ours.  We took it back to the dealer and it was still under warranty for the repairs.  This is "common" issue that should not still be repeating coming off the line.  Happy Trails!
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

kmeindin

Thank you very much for the tip. I had not heard of the Geocel Proflex RV sealant. I will buy some and seal it up.

I will jack the trailer up and take the wheels off to get in there better.

DavidM

While you are at it, grease the wheel bearings. They can be greased with the wheels on and sitting on the ground, but it is a little easier with them off. Just use a grease gun to squirt grease in the fitting underneath the black sealing cap until it starts to ooze out around the edges.

David

Agitated

Quote from: DavidM on July 19, 2018, 01:26:34 PM
While you are at it, grease the wheel bearings. They can be greased with the wheels on and sitting on the ground, but it is a little easier with them off. Just use a grease gun to squirt grease in the fitting underneath the black sealing cap until it starts to ooze out around the edges.

David

I don't agree with that, it's easier and best to grease with the wheels on and off the ground so you can spin them while greasing.  If you aren't rotating the bearings while shooting grease through the spindle then you risk pushing grease past the rear seal which is bad. 

ADR

The space between the rollers in the bearings, through which the grease passes while migrating to the hub opening, is still there even if not spinning.
If grease got pushed past the seal then the seal is probably defective and would happen spinning or not.
I currently own 10 trailers and all but 2 have easylube hubs- have greased them many times stationary and never had an issue. 
I do prefer to spin the wheels when greasing but it is a lot of work sometimes for little real benefit.

nhlakes

Quote from: ADR on July 20, 2018, 04:50:10 PM
I currently own 10 trailers and all but 2 have easylube hubs- have greased them many times stationary and never had an issue. 

Glad to see there are other folks besides me with trailer issues. Although I only have 5 at the moment. Next time my wife complains I'll use you as a reference.  ;)

PS: I also typically lube hubs while on the ground, although can see some advantage to spinning the wheels, which we do when changing/repacking bearings (which I have not personally done in years).  Haven't had an issue since the earlier 80's.  Fortunately had a spare hub with me.  Much easier to swap a hub than replace bearings on the side of the road, hundreds of miles from home.
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

Agitated

If you don't rotate the bearings while greasing, then you aren't getting the grease throughout the whole bearing.