'05 QS10.0 torsion suspension sagging badly; what are my options?

Started by jopher, July 17, 2018, 06:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jopher

We've owned our '05 QS 10.0 for about 5 years, and it's provided excellent service, but I noticed a while ago that it seemed to be riding low, and it's now gotten to the point where the right tire is starting to wear through the wheel well, I imagine as the result of bumps. The top rear of the tire is now sitting only about a half inch from the rear of the well, and the left is only a bit higher.  I assume there's no adjusting these torsion suspensions and that the only solution is to replace the entire thing.  So I have a few questions:
1.  Is this unusual?  Did I or the previous owner do something to cause this, or is it just the result of age?  (It's certainly not being overloaded; I've removed the A/C and battery that it came with, and we travel on well-maintained roads with very little gear.  I've sometimes put it on jacks during the off-season, but not every year.)
2.  Am I right that I need to replace the suspension, or would lifting it an inch or so be a reasonable option?
3. Has anyone else replaced their suspension?  I'm not sure where to start, as I don't have all the original documentation so I don't know what specs are I'd need to match.   I think I remember hearing it's a dexter torflex, but that's all I know.   Any pointers to get me started? (My unit has elec brakes, but I'm not using them with my current TV, a '15 Outback.
4.  Finally, anyone replaced the suspension with something different?  I've been reading about Timbren's axle-less offering, and it looks appealing and doable by a handy non-professional, but I'm not sure any of their products provide sufficient vertical lift to clear the restrictive wheel wells on the '05 QS 10.

Anyone have thoughts on this?  Thanks in advance.

DavidM

I would talk to Dexter. In one unusual case an off road LL was delivered with the wrong axle. LL replaced it.

David

jopher

David, thanks. I think I'll need to give Dexter or LL a call to find out what the right replacement is.  Even if this WAS delivered with the wrong axle, it was 13 years ago to a different owner, so I'm pretty sure the repair is on me.  But who knows, perhaps that IS the reason for the low ride height.  It's been this way ever since I've owned it, though its only since getting new tires that I've realized how serious a problem it is.

ADR

Before you call Dexter take a look under and see if the original factory sticker is still on it-  if it is get all the numbers off it.
They'll likely ask for that info- and if you go to replace it- they will need it to build another axle.
FYI you can get a heavier duty axle built by them to replace the original if you like.

FWIW I have an enclosed trailer with tandem Dexter Torflex axles- it is about 15 years old and sits constantly between uses with about 4-5000 lbs in it.
No sagging noted.

nikbrewer

from looking at hos these are built, its possible one of the torsion bars broke.   I have also looked into the axleless setup and plan on using that when the time comes.  It will requires some bolting of extra metal or welding to get the 2000 lbs one to fit correctly

ADR

Just be aware of the frame strength needed to use the ones that don't span the trailer frame.   Lots of twisting applied to the frame rail on those- not sure some frames would stand that for long.

DavidM

I think that ADR is absolutely right. I wouldn't install an axleless suspension without first welding a heavy aluminum member in between the outer frame rails to withstand the twisting forces.

David

gabe1475

I am also curious.  Has anyone actually lifted the trailer to provide additional clearance.  My seeing the same issues as the op, but really only have a couple inches between the wheel well and the tire.