New to forum, owner since 2013 of '05 QS 10.0

Started by jopher, July 17, 2018, 05:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jopher

It's been about 5 years since we bought our '05 used, and we've been enjoying it a great deal when we can find the time. Wish I'd used the forum more during that time!
We've made several mods (bike rack, elec water pump, and a removable interior battery solution) and a few repairs that I'll eventually get around to posting about, but for the most part the trailer is holding up remarkably well for its age, including the tent and tonneau cover.  I had to replace a door zipper which I ruined by trying to go through the door without opening it completely, but that's been the worst of it.  We just got back from a short trip where we weathered hours of severe downpours, and the tent didn't leak a bit.

My biggest concern (which I'll post further about in the QS general group) is that the torsion suspension is sagging significantly; on one side enough that the tire is starting to rub away the rear of the plastic wheel well on bumps.  I assume it'll need replacing, which I'd love to do myself if I can find a way to do it without welding.  But I haven't the foggiest idea where to start, so hoping someone here might have ideas.

klaker

You'll have to order a new axle from Dexter, the rubber inside the axle is not user replaceable.

On my 2010 QS 10.0 the axle was bolted to a bracket and that bracket was welded to the frame. Is your axle welded directly to the frame?

jopher

klaker, mine is bolted directly to the frame (with a reinforcing aluminum plate between the nuts and the top side of the frame member), so I'm hoping removing it won't be difficult.  I just need to make sure I find the right one to replace it.