Tonneau Cover Group Buy

Started by nikbrewer, June 26, 2018, 09:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikbrewer

TONNEAU COVER GROUP BUY

Ok, I have been working on a tonneau cover solution since so many people have has issues getting one

I have found the same material. It's used in making commercial awnings and tents. The only issue is it comes in 61" width.

I will be building the covers in house. The will have a single seam lengthwise that will be both sewn and glued. This is the same method they use on the large tents and will be water proof.

Some improvements over the original we are making are folded corners. This puts more material at the corners and removes the corner seam which is a single point of failure. The other improvement is we are glueing an extra layer where the brackets rub the cover. This should increase durability.

All covers will come with loose snaps and an installation tool

I need at least 5 people on the group buy to get the material.

Cost is $200 for 6.0, $215 for 8.0 and 8.1 and $230 for 10.0

Shipping is extra. Hope to have prototype next week. Just gauging interest right now

Also, this stuff in available in tons of colors, but the pricing is for grey or black. If you want something else, like green or red, just contact me and I can price that separate.

Here are some pics of the materials and test fit. I built the corner inside out so all the layers can be seen.

kimntaylor

I may be interested esp if u already do the snaps...
I just phoned a dealer near me in NC and he is checking to see if he can get and said they get from a third party retailer.
I had seen others talking about having to install the snaps...uh...don't want to mess it up by even remotely attempting that
Mine is a 10.0
Dealer says may be around 175 just FYI
Let me know what u end up with

nikbrewer

No way to do the snaps here, as the layout on the trailers is not very uniform.  If it fit my trailer, there is no way to know if it will fit yours.   

Most dealers cant or wont try to get these.  The few people i have seen that did get them were around $250.  I have seem people have them made that cost up to $400. 

One option would be to drop off the trailer and the cover at a boat upholstery shop to have the snaps installed.

kimntaylor

Local dealer wanted 318 plus 40 some for snaps and then tax and then shipping...thanks I will pass
I live in a lake area so a local canvas/boat shop is doing a custom with snaps for 200-300.  They have it now to custom fit...better option in my opinion

Others have posted about the sticky residue left behind after the crappy old cover..li have this too...prob going to try goo be gone to remove...think this may be a good option

Snoopy

About the snaps, the suggestion of a boat outfitter is a good one,. Maybe also try an awning company, or an outdoor upholstery supplier. In a pinch, I once had a bootmaker install some heavy duty grommets in some Sunbrella material for a (non-camper-related) project I was working on. Good luck with the venture!
2014 Camplite 13BHB (new to us!!)
2013 Ford Edge
a mom, a dad, and a kid
recent pop-up converts

nikbrewer

i had the sticky residue too.  Turns out its actually the pain from the panels on the bottom of the beds coming off, maybe due to humidity?   I have used paint stripper on it and now its all bare aluminium.  Plan on sealing it now   

ldryan2

I also may be interested in the group buy. I have a 2010 6.0 quicksilver.
Larry

EdAbbey

We just had the tonneau cover on our 10.0 replaced at a small shop that does boat tarps.  They had 2 grades of PVC - a light and a heavy. The heavier one worked well as the roll was long enough such that no seam was necessary. The cover included a new bead attachment on the front end and all the snaps were installed.  It was C$270 and was done in about 3 hours.

It's too bad I thought of this after but I'd recommend asking the manufacturer to put a double layer of PVC where the cover sits on the 4 support pole attachments.

The shop also made us an awning including poles for $200.  We no longer have a local dealer that could bring in the factory-made one.

Firefro8

jsudimak9

I have a quick silver 10.0 and I needed a new tonneau cover when I purchased it.  I actually bought 2 of them just in case.  I bought them from Top Stitch.
Phone
(574) 293-6633
Email
[email protected]
Address
921 Summa Drive
Elkhart, IN 46516
Modify message

kalvindarwan

The majority of dealers can't or won't try to get these. The few folks I have seen who did succeed in getting them spent about $250. I've observed folks having these produced for up to $400.

reiki austin txFoundation Pier Commercial Interior Painting