New Unit Leaks Profusely

Started by chilchele, June 18, 2018, 11:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilchele

We purchased a brand new 2018 8.0 this Spring. As you can see from the attached video and photos, we did not do much sleeping Saturday night as our until took on tons of water from the seams. Not only have I tried/performed the "curing" process several times, but this is the 2nd time (out of 3 outings) that this new Quicksilver has leaked. But this weekend was intolerable, and I actually have video of water dripping on my wife as she was trying to sleep (not posting that one). It really is dishearting as I talked her into this purchase. 

Railsnstiles

Very sorry to see/hear  about the leaks in the tent. As you have allowed it to "season" several times you may want  to go ahead and use a seam sealant as it looks in the photos that seams and needle holes are the culpret(s).  I know in the past there have been discussions about whther to or not to seal, and of products to try.   I will leave it to  wiser heads than mine to offer guidance.

Steve and Dana

Forget seam sealing unless Livinlite refuses to stand behind the warranty.  Using seam sealer for something that, if you followed the instructions in the manual, should be unnecessary.  The tent should not leak.  You paid for something that should not leak and they should stand behind their warranty and give you a tent that does not leak.  Go back to LL with proof (pictures) - they should replace the tent N/C.  We had the same issue and the tent was replaced no charge.

klaker

The tenting is flawed in some way.

I had a 2010 10.0 and it never leaked. Camped one week in torrential downpours and not one drop got in, didn't even season it before use.

So now inferior tenting is another Thor gift to their customers. Thor corporation is run by a-holes.

chilchele

We dropped off the unit last week so the dealer can do the submission to Livin Lite, etc. I will keep everyone posted when I hear back. In the meantime, I have started seam sealing with the Gear Aid brand. It took about 3 tubes to do most of the "upper" area of the tent, and I am going to buy another 3 to do the side areas of the tent. Sure enough, the sides leak water too. I can only do about 5 minutes at a time because the fumes from the sealer are very strong, but they do dissipate in a couple of hours. I am trying to get the seam sealing knocked out before our yearly beach trip because I have no idea how long it will take to get a replacement....or if I will get a replacement. Plus, the seam sealer stuff is about 8 bucks a tube.

candie4749

Just a bit in info which can also be found on the pink tent care and warranty card.  It is not recommend that any type of sealant be applied to the tents.  Not only are the chemicals harmful to the material doing so will void the warranty. 

chilchele

Those are great and valid points, which is why I made sure that my time stamped pics and videos were taken and I took the unit to the dealer before I started sealing the top. At this point, I have to proceed if I want to save our vacation as the dealer said it may be weeks before all of this is sorted out. We leave for vacation in 2 weeks. From the day we purchased this thing we were talking about how fun the quicksilver was going to be for vacation but as you can see (if you had a chance to review the pics and video) the unit is not usable without sealing the seams. Trust me, the top is already ruined.....from the leaks and stains. I really do not blame Livin Lite as the tent top is made by Top Stitch. However, this needs to get sorted out quickly and it would be a shame if they do not "make it right" as we have been thinking about purchasing an additional Living Lite Toy Hauler for our other excursions. We use this unit as base camp for going to family land which requires the off-road package, 2 creek crossings, AWD/4WD, etc.

Vismin

I had to have my 2018 10.0 tent replaced for the same reason. Took forever and the new one leaked mildly from the top seam still. It was, however, better than the old one.