QS6 REAR DECK KITCHEN CHUCK BOX PROJECT

Started by QS61956, January 17, 2017, 08:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QS61956

I had  a very productive weekend working on my rear deck kitchen chuck box project. I will post pictures as it evolves.
The board on top serves two purposes- it will support the rear of a roof top carrier while the front rests on the trailer right above the wheels.
It also will attach to the factory outside table near the door and run full length of the trailer from the door to the rear of the trailer.
Instead of doors on the rear there will be a removable panel that will serve as a 56 x 31 inch table. The whole box will be covered with a large grill cover.

QS61956

Applied a sponge painting technique. This will be on the rear panel which becomes a dining table with removable legs and the top panel will get the same treatment and extends the factory table on the side of the trailer. Then about five coats of clear to seal it up real good,

ajreaper

You are amazingly handy and talented- looks great!
2016 F-150
QS8

QS61956

Coming along... almost ready to cut the final panels and assemble all of the components and attach it to the deck.

QS61956

Final pieces cut and installed. Getting close to complete. Mounting holes drilled in the kitchen box and the trailer deck. Time for final hardware and cosmetics. I expect to complete this in the coming week.

abodyjoe

that is bad ass...    looks very useful...      nice work man..

how heavy is it?  its not going to take too much tongue weight away is it?

QS61956

I can fairly easily pick it up......not to heavy.....when loaded  I expect to be under 150 lbs which I was told was a safe weight.
Do not anticipate tongue weight issues. :)

abodyjoe

i'd be more concerned of lack of tongue weight. i agree you don't want too much but too little isn't good either from what i have read..  thats why i was asking how heavy that is on the rear..     its bad ass man..  nice work..

QS61956

Yes, I am aware that not enough tongue weight  can cause issues. I will do a test run before first trip.

abodyjoe

here is what i've seen in a few different places..  look into it..  just want you to be safe man..

QuoteTongue weight: the amount of the trailer's weight that is borne by the trailer hitch. Ideally, this should be about 10 percent of the total trailer weight. Too much tongue weight will make your vehicle's steering less responsive. Too little and the trailer might sway. Tongue weight can be measured using a specialized scale (available at trailer supply shops).

QS61956

I am aware of the 10% rule thanks for the info!

QS61956

:)Another productive weekend......finalized all construction items on punch list......chuck box now bolted to the trailer deck.
Several more coats of clear this week. Next weekend...pack all kitchen and other items into the box.

QS61956

Here are some photos of the kitchen boxed packed with the door open and closed. The very top shelf is removable and clamps to the manufacturer's shelf on the passenger side of the trailer. This extended shelf will be used for the electric coffee pot, electric toaster & phone charging station, when we are at a commercial campground with electricity. Currently many set-up items are stored under the sofa. Not very convenient. Now the poles, ropes and stakes for the canopy and many other items will be stored on the top shelf just below the removable shelf. Once at the campsite is set-up the open shelf will be a place for our 12v fridge and microwave oven if we are at a campground with electricity.

QS61956

Finished except for a few items that need to wait until the weather changes and I can open the trailer up.

chappy133

Looking good. Maybe we will bump into each while camping in PA.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA