Sealing canvass tent

Started by BKFAMILY, May 26, 2018, 07:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKFAMILY

We bought a replacement canvass tent for our livin lite 10.0 about 5 mos ago. Used it several times and so far it has not rained on us.  We are going on a 15 day trip out west and tested it today to make sure it didn't leak.  I was worried as the seams don't appear to be sealed.  The old cover appeared to have been sealed by the previous owner or the factory.  Sure enough it leaked and like I mentioned previously it's only 5 mos old.  Shouldn't these things come sealed by the factory? A little frustrating to $1000 and it not be sealed. 
Look forward to hearing any suggestions. 

khupp

Try seasoning the canvas. Just soak it with a hose or rain several times and the thread will expand sealing the seams.

RockorSomething

Quote from: khupp on May 30, 2018, 06:42:33 PM
Try seasoning the canvas. Just soak it with a hose or rain several times and the thread will expand sealing the seams.

Exactly. The canvas has to be seasoned.

But don't make my mistake: I soaked it lightly with a garden hose, thinking that was adequate. A few days later it rained heavily and there were multiple leaks, indicating I didn't "season" it enough. On a good note, the rain seasoned it for me.

I've since used it in a steady 8 hour downpour and at no point did it leak.

Lesson to be learned from this? When you think you've soaked it sufficiently, wet it some more. When your finished doing that, then wet it even more.

wdaltman

We have a 2013 8.1 with the original vinyl tent.  I've wondered about changing to canvas when the time comes to replace it (the first owners used the camper very little, so it still has a good bit of life in it). Here are a few questions...what are the advantages of canvas over vinyl on the Quicksilvers and what was the source of your new canvas tent?  Our original camping "home" was a Springbar canvas tent that has been through everything over the past 20 years and still is like new. 

By the way, I recently contacted Topstitch just to find out what the cost of a replacement vinyl tent is:  $630 for the 8.1. 

BKFAMILY

Thanks so much!!  I would have never known that.  I do however need to season it again with a good soaking.