Hail?

Started by Ann, May 18, 2018, 05:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ann

We finally got the Camplite this spring. Now that we have our new 16dbs we are constantly worried about hail and what it might do to a camplite. Especially since getting repairs may be difficult when production stops. Does anyone have any experience with hail? How easily damaged is a Camplite? Is the top ok and are sides more vulnerable than the top?
Thanks for any info. Ann

DavidM

I once had a car sitting in my driveway get hammered by a hail storm. The results were just that- it looked like someone took a hammer to the top, dents all over.

The aluminum CL roofs would look the same. The rubber ones maybe no damage.

The fix was a bondo job and repainting.

David

klaker

All campers can be damaged by hail, makes no difference what they are made of.

If you are unlucky enough for this happen you call the insurance company and they will most likely total it out.

That livinlite is gone is irrelevant because the camper wouldn't be returned to the factory for repairs anyway.

7thunders

Would love to see a picture of your 16dbs, we have one as well a 2017 model
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser

kreiffer

Had hail damage to my trailer last August (golf ball sized).  Was actually glad to be in the little tank rather than the alternative.

Damage was all cosmetic (other than plastic vents and plastic covers on roof).  Awnings and side panels were left unscathed.

I decided to repair, roof was cover by insurance (~$5k) and I used my local RV dealer.  The dealer is where I bought my Camp Lite so they had knowledge of the construction (which i felt was important).   

The replaced all the plastic bits, put a new sheet of roof aluminum, front top curved panel and re-gooped / sealed.  The most complex part was the top curved piece at the front as it needed to bent and paint matched. The front on the 14DBS is made of two overlapping pieces of painted aluminum (on top) and one diamond plate on the bottom.

Gibby

Quote from: kreiffer on May 22, 2018, 01:20:59 PM
Had hail damage to my trailer last August (golf ball sized).  Was actually glad to be in the little tank rather than the alternative.

Damage was all cosmetic (other than plastic vents and plastic covers on roof).  Awnings and side panels were left unscathed.

I decided to repair, roof was cover by insurance (~$5k) and I used my local RV dealer.  The dealer is where I bought my Camp Lite so they had knowledge of the construction (which i felt was important).   

The replaced all the plastic bits, put a new sheet of roof aluminum, front top curved panel and re-gooped / sealed.  The most complex part was the top curved piece at the front as it needed to bent and paint matched. The front on the 14DBS is made of two overlapping pieces of painted aluminum (on top) and one diamond plate on the bottom.

How is this repair holding up, we have the same issue on our 21RBS and I am concerned fixing a cosmetic thing and having bigger problems.
2014 Camplite 21RBS
2021 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L V6 EcoBoost