Broken Tongue on 2013 13QBB

Started by Mark Deuser, May 16, 2018, 02:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Deuser

The tongue of the 13QBB was sheared off rather cleanly from the trailer.  Has there been any experience on replacing that beam?  I am determining whether the trailer is totaled.  Thanks, Mark

DavidM

Wow!! I presume the tubing sheared right at the junction with the A frame, right. Could you post a pic of that side? I also presume that this was some sort of accident, right?

But if that is the only damage, it can be fixed. But it will take a very good aluminum welder to do the repair. Newer models bring the A frame members all of the way forward to the coupler. You might want to look into doing that, particularly if yours broke during more or less normal use.

David

klaker

You will not be able to replace the entire beam however you will have to find a place that can weld aluminum properly.

It won't be any RV dealer, it will have to be a specialty metal fabrication shop.

Start calling hot rod shops or signage manufactures, if they can't do it ask them if they know of any places that can. Eventually you'll find someone who has the welding and engineering knowledge to fix it correctly.

Mark Deuser

Yes, it was an accident.  A car traveled across my my yard and hit the tongue at right angles while the rv was parked in my driveway.  It then by the way traveled into my next door neighbors house.

Here is a pic of the other side of the tongue.

Thanks for the advice.   I will keep posting on this topic.
Mark

DavidM

Wow, it sheared that tongue right off at the A frame. You will need to find a good aluminum welder who is creative about fixing things. I would cut out the old tongue from the A frame all the way back to the front of the body. Then weld a new tongue to the A frame and the front body frame, and weld doublers top and bottom of the A frame joint to reinforce it.

Don't bother with the LL factory. They are shut down and I bet all of their aluminum welders were laid off.

David

Mark Deuser

David,
I am still wondering whether I should try to get this fixed or replace the trailer.

My greatest fear is that the trailer will be fixed and then not track straight behind my light Subaru Outback.  I would like to get a feel whether it is very difficult or easy to get a straight track after replacing the tongue beam.  How do I get that knowledge?

Also, if the trailer does not track straight behind the car, could the tracking be adjusted?

Mark

DavidM

That should be easy to check. If the new tongue is perpendicular to the axle, then it will track straight. Pull a string along the new tongue and then extend to the axle. Then put a framing square up against the string and the axle and see if it is square within 1/16" along a 2' framing square. If so then the trailer will track within about 1/2" right or left of the ball. Tell your repair guy that that is one of the conditions behind doing the job. He will fit up the new tongue using the same procedure before he welds it in place.

David

djsamuel

I would check that the remaining frame is not bent or twisted in some way.  The car must have hit the trailer with quite a bit of force to rip off the tongue, so I would not be surprised if the frame is bent.  That would be a whole new ball game if it is twisted. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS