To Trade or Not to Trade, Need advice!

Started by dmhlewis, May 08, 2018, 08:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmhlewis

Need your thoughts or feedback. We purchased a 2017 Livin Lite CL16BHB back in October. At the time of purchase we owned an 07 Jeep Wrangler and intended to buy another vehicle for me and it was going to be an 2018 Jeep Wrangler. So with that in mind we had to find something that we would be able to tow. We had our eye on a Livin Lite for the the last couple of years. We liked everything we read and heard about these trailers and allbeit small the 16bhb had everything we were looking for including the weight of 2880lbs. After a 2 or 3 camping trips that were cold wet and rainy we realized just how small that camper actually is. Don't get me wrong we love this little 16bhb but wish it were just slightly bigger.

So, we decided that eventually we will probably want to buy something bigger. We were thinking a year to 3 years down the road. With that in mind we decided to buy me a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the tow package that will tow up to 6200lbs. So that if and when we decided to purchase something bigger we had the vehicle to do it with.

We were actually thinking of upgrading to the 21bhs in a year or three. This all took place prior to the announcement of Livin Lite shutting down.

We admit we jumped the gun. We based our purchase on how much we could tow and then purchased the bigger vehicle afterwards.  Now here we are. One of the many reasons we purchased a Livin Lite was for the resale value it holds. But now they are closing and we r concerned that if we wait the resale value will not be where we originally thought. Will that be the case? Or will Livin Lite retain their value?

We know that we want to get a bigger trailer but now we can no longer get the 21bhs. Meaning we will have to find another brand. We are looking at a Gulfstream Vintage Crusier 23bhs and they are aluminum frame but are they as good as Livin Lite? Are we making a mistake? Should we do this? OR should we hang onto our 16bhb hoping the resale value won't tank but actually go up because you can no longer buy one?

Canuckrdp

So I am of the opinion that the resale value of the Livin' Lite is going remain strong for all the reasons all of us bought them in the first place.  Quality, never having to worry about rot just to name a few.

When we were looking for our unit trying to find a used one was really hard because people keep them because they LAST.

I am betting that the same will hold true once they stop making them because they will be rare and still going strong.

I assume Thor is making a huge mistake stopping production but good for us that own the last ones made.  It would be interesting to know the real story of why they are stopping production.

We love our 21RBS and are constantly surprised on how well built they are and easy to use.

We have a 2016 Highlander towing our unit and we live in the mountains of NC.  The Toyota has the factory tow package and is more than capable of taking our unit anywhere we have wanted to go.

klaker

The Grand Cherokee will run out of payload capacity long before you get near the towing capacity. The factory rated "towing capacity" is basically for marketing purposes only, it is the last number to consider when towing a travel trailer.

Do a deep dive online search and read as much as you can about tow ratings, it will be an eye opener. With options and all your camping gear that gulfstream will be way above the tow rating and payload capacity of the GC.

Your camper is too new for a good resale value, it will be better than a cheap wood camper but I don't think you'll be very happy with the offers you get.

The gulfstream has aluminum tubing in the walls, the actual frame is a cheap metal lippert one that all campers use.

Personally I would get used to cramped quarters when it rains, how many days per year will that be? 3, 4, 5? why take a financial hit on a quality camper and buy a run of mill junker for that.

K Syrah Syrah

I don't know if you have looked at the Vintage Cruiser closely, but my spouse and I had those on our original short list. They didn't have the finish quality the Camp Lite does.

We also considered a Lance 1475, Tab 400 and Little Guy Max. Camp Lite wasn't even on our radar. Once we saw the quality, we knew that the value would hold! Rare vehicles (no longer in production) tend to have a cult following. Hopefully, you will find someone looking for the quality and the chance to own something unique.

2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
...as Doris says, with a bold red in hand, "Whatever will be, will be."
😁🍷