security bit fasteners

Started by antares4141, May 08, 2018, 02:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antares4141

Can't unbolt my fresh water pump from floor cause of security type fasteners.  Appear to be the 8 sided type but with a dimple in the middle so I can't use a  tapered 4 sided bit on them.   Best I can tell t-25 is the size I need so I went to amazon and bought a whole range of them including this size in 4 and 8 sided with the hole in the middle to accommodate the dimple on the fastener.

None of them fit.  Any suggestions how I can get these fasteners out?  Can't reach them with a pair of pliers.  Considering drilling out the center of them and using an easy out.

Entropy3XD

It might be a T15P.  I just ran into this when I tried to move my propane tank. T15 was too small and T20 was too big.  Turns out a #2 square bit will do the trick if it's a T15P.  Here's a link to the T15P bit I bought on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148B3DT6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

antares4141

I'll have to recheck, think the size in question is t-25.  And I have to have a hole in the middle of the bit because the screws are security screws.  Kind of annoys me livinlite did this.   All the rest of the screws in my camper are torx and none of the bit's in the set I bought work.

Only way I have been able to get the non-security screws loose is with a tapered square bit.  It won't work with the security bit though because it doesn't have a hole in the center to accommodate the bump in the middle of the security screw. 

Thanks for the link to the torx plus.  Not anxious to spend 7 bucks on a bit but if it works...

Sorry it took me so long to reply I was hoping I had my profile set to email me when I got a response.   

I'll have to fix that.

ADR

It takes a common #2 square bit-  used by the millions on RV's.  Also known as a Robertson.

The 8 sided screw is called a double square.   Torx are 6 sided.

antares4141

Thank You ADR!  This explains allot.