16DBS dual axle jacking

Started by adcummings, April 15, 2018, 10:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adcummings

I serviced the wheel bearings on my 2014 16DBS yesterday for the first time (trailer purchased 6 months ago). I did as the manual says and jacked it up on the frame rail. I put a bottle jack in between the tires so both raised up. I also put an automotive jack stand in place and lowered the stabilizer jacks until they contacted just for backup.

However, I have the current manual for trailers with the newer spring axles but mine is a 2914. So is this instruction only meant for the newer style spring axles?

Can some explain to me the proper way to jack? Should only a wheel chock/instant jack be used? If so is that mainly for safety or did I risk damaging my axles and/or frame?

chappy133

I was told not to jack on the aluminum frame since it could warp the frame.  If do jack there use a board to distribute the weight so the jack head does not punch a hole in the aluminum tube.  I changed both my tires yesterday and used a bottle jack, bought just for this situation, resting on a 6x6 and jacked the steel axle up and used a jack stand since I was changing all the tires. 
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

DavidM

Dexter does no recommend jacking up the trailer using any of their suspension components. This applies to torsion axles and leaf spring axles.

So they recommend jacking using the trailer frame. But LL frames are aluminum. As noted above, point loads like putting a bottle jack directly on the frame can possibly punch a hole in the metal.

I have had good success jacking against a 1' length of 2x4 placed underneath the frame and as close to possible to the wheel and in back of the wheels in a tandem arrangement.

David

nhlakes

Has anyone tried the Andersen Rapid Jack?
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-anderson-rapid-jack-am3620.aspx

I have an Andersen Leveler kit that included one of these but have not tried it yet.
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd