FLIPPING Window Shade/screen

Started by K Syrah Syrah, February 19, 2018, 08:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K Syrah Syrah

This topic has been mentioned before, but I've lost the thread.

Has anyone else tried to remove the valances and turn the screen/shade units around?? I would like to have the shade pull up instead of down, for added privacy while still ventilating.

I'm worried I will screw up the fabric. ADVICE??
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
...as Doris says, with a bold red in hand, "Whatever will be, will be."
😁🍷

klaker

Don't have any advice yet but I will soon, one of the valances on my camper sticks out too far so I plan on removing it and cutting it back.

When I do that I will check the shade mechanism pretty sure it is separate from the window so it can be unscrewed and rotated 180 degrees.

Planned on going to the camper later tomorrow.

K Syrah Syrah

Great! Can't wait to hear how it goes. It looks like the shade/screen system is in a frame. My concern is taking off the valance without seriously damaging it.....and getting it back on, of course.
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
😁🍷

klaker

I wasn't able to work on my camper, the valance is held on with 2 small l-brackets and screws. Shouldn't be an issue unscrewing it and then screwing it back in when the mods are done.

Bluewaterbound

I just flipped mine. It is very simple an easy. Takes about 5/10 minutes a window.
All that is needed is Philips screw driver.
As stated everything is self contained in the shade/screen frame. All you have to do is unscrew it and revers it.

The valance is a cloth covered piece of plywood.
The valances on the bedroom windows are held on with a right angle bracket with 2 small Philips screws on each side.
The valances on the kitchen window and the slide out window are screwed to the ceiling. They have longer longer self tapping Philips screws.
The were a little more difficult to get at since one of the screws was covered up by the cloth. But still very easy overall.

The shade frames are held on by 4 Philips screws, one in each corner.
Simply remove the plastic corner covers by gently pulling up from the in side of the corner.
Unscrew the 4 screws, reverse the frame, and screw in. The holes all align.

Enjoy

K Syrah Syrah

YAY! Sounds like even I can do it. Thanks for the inspiration and great info!
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
😁🍷

Lighthouse

I recently flipped both sleeping area shade/screens.  Took about 15 minutes for each window.  The hardest part is balancing the aluminum screw (no magnetism) on the screwdriver to screw the valance back on.  Tip - use a small piece of two-sided tape to hold the screw on the screwdriver, or change out the aluminum screws for steel and use a magnetic screw driver. 
2017 16TBS
Ram 1500 Quad 4x4

K Syrah Syrah

I left 3 of my 4 valances off. The one I put back on got a facelift with some new fabric and remounted with double stick hook & loop (Velcro) on the L bracket.
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
😁🍷

Biewers on the go

What an awesome idea!  I'll be doing the same to mine asap!  This is an especially good idea in case it rains while you are not at the camper and the windows are open too.  Not a good idea to have happen, but it does as  we all know. 

Thanks!

nhlakes

Interesting.  My 2016 shades came from the factory pulling up from the bottom.  Wonder why they would have changed it...?
2016 LL CL21RBS
2015 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Dbl Ltd

klaker

Quote from: nhlakes on May 12, 2018, 01:38:51 PM
Interesting.  My 2016 shades came from the factory pulling up from the bottom.  Wonder why they would have changed it...?

They didn't change it, just sloppy workmanship. The installer that day either didn't look at which side was the shade or just didn't care.

chappy133

We didn't flip but removed the valances in the slide out and above the sink.  They serve no purpose.  We kept the ones by the beds since it is a great place for glasses, phones and flashlight.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA