Replacing a Vortex Fan with a FanTastic Vent Fan

Started by Canuckrdp, January 22, 2018, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuckrdp

Hi everyone,

We just bought our new 2018 21RBS and can't wait to get it on the road.

The unit came with a 9" Vortex Fan in the living space.  The on/off switch seems defective and the fan starts all by itself.  Livin' Lite sent me a new switch to install but I haven't done that yet.

I would like to replace the Vortex fan with a FanTastic fan.

Has anyone done that and if so please let me know what challenges I might encounter.

I was hoping I could simply replace the fan motors and not have to remove the original housing from the Vortex fan.  I'd like not to have to open up the roof seal on the current fan.  Any suggestions?

Thanks Rod

Feeaphinya

It is something that everyone should read and learn about it. Because it is useful.

Paul

I got my Vortex fan replaced by a fantastic fan in my 2018 21BHS but I can't really help you as it was done by the dealer prior to delivery
http://aluminumcamperforum.com
2014 Ford Escape
2016 Ford F150 XTR 2.7l ecoboost  4x4
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2018 Camplite 21BHS (on order)

bae146

I replaced my fan in my 16 DBS, and to be honest it was so easy I hardly remember the process.  I had to get some of that sealing putty, other than that it was an hour long process from start to finish.  It fit in the same hole, it was easy.

gglkap1

2015 CL21RBS with aluminum roof. Replace two of the Chinese fans with Maxair fans. You do have to remove all the fan pieces the trim pieces are different. I used Duraflex tape for sealing the roof sections. Wasn't that hard.

Gerald

Canuckrdp

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like I may give it a try.  Was hoping I wouldn't have to get on the roof but based on the input, taking the whole old unit out is the only option.

If any of you that did it yourself could send a picture of the how the roof looks after the install, that would be great.

tco2612

Very easy to make it look like a factory install.I installed two in a A-LINER camper that I needed two cut holes in roof then in install looked factory when done .Just take your time and use a good sealer.

Capt J-rod

I have two vortex in my 2015 21rbs. They move a lot of air, but they are very loud. I am considering swapping out the front one for a fantastic fan. For those that have done it, is it quiet enough to have on while you sleep for is it similar to the vortex?

gglkap1

We also have a 2015 CL21RBS trailer. I changed the two vortex fans with Maxxair fans. They have 10 speed fans that allow the units to operate very quietly. I am very pleased with the quality of the fans. They are not cheap. The units we installed have a remote and can be operated when it is raining.

Gerald

Capt J-rod

Thanks Gerald. I have maxxaire covers over the fans that are in there. I looked those fans up and they seem to offer a lot of nice features. Now you've got me leaning in that direction. Thanks for the info!

klaker

I replaced the switches on the vortex fans with a 12v fan controller (don't use the low voltage PMW switch has to be an automotive type blower motor switch), at lower speeds the vortex is quiet and you can't beat the price. The original click switches are junk.

IIRC the maxxair and fantastic fans are not direct replacements and you have to completely remove the old fan including the frame.

Bluewaterbound

We picked up our 2018 21rbs last week. After running the fans for a bit I thought they were too loud for sleeping.
So, I just received 2 (Fan-Tastic Vent Roof Vent, Model 3350) today from etrailer.com.
After opening the box I realized they would not fit into the exsiting Vortex enclosure and thought about returning them.
However, after reading the great posts in this thread. I climbed up on the roof and took a look and as bae146 stated it does look fairly easy.
Just have to carefully remove (peal away) the factory self leveling sealant around the exsisting enclosure.
I just ordered the Alpha Systems 1021 Self-Leveling RV Roofing Sealant on Amazon.
I'm assuming I need a warm day to apply it.

Canuckrdp

As was previously mentioned the install was actually not too bad except for my creaky knees trying to move around up on the roof!

The whole thing took about 2 hours total and the new Fantastic Vent is so quiet and works perfectly.  I installed the 7350 which I got on Amazon for less money than the lower models.  Having the remote control is a great feature.

A couple of points to consider if you decide to do it yourself...

The mounting screws that come with the new fan are not self taping so they won't screw into the aluminum substructure without pre-drilling so I reused the screws that I removed from the Vortex fan.

The interior face plate covering the new fan will need to be trimmed in depth by about an inch because the roof on the Livin' Lite is not as deep as probably conventional RV's.  Exposing the roof after removing the old fan shows just how well built and insulated our Livin' Lites are!

If you are the least bit handy go ahead and replace your fans and save yourself a bunch of money not having a dealer installing for you.

hat4rvn

Quote from: klaker on February 02, 2018, 09:15:25 AM
I replaced the switches on the vortex fans with a 12v fan controller (don't use the low voltage PMW switch has to be an automotive type blower motor switch), at lower speeds the vortex is quiet and you can't beat the price. The original click switches are junk.

IIRC the maxxair and fantastic fans are not direct replacements and you have to completely remove the old fan including the frame.
klaker, are you saying that you replaced the push button switch with an automotive 
type multi-speed switch?  is it a dial or 2 speed?  What brand did you use?

Jeremy D

Quote from: Canuckrdp on April 01, 2018, 07:57:16 AM
As was previously mentioned the install was actually not too bad except for my creaky knees trying to move around up on the roof!

The whole thing took about 2 hours total and the new Fantastic Vent is so quiet and works perfectly.  I installed the 7350 which I got on Amazon for less money than the lower models.  Having the remote control is a great feature.

A couple of points to consider if you decide to do it yourself...

The mounting screws that come with the new fan are not self taping so they won't screw into the aluminum substructure without pre-drilling so I reused the screws that I removed from the Vortex fan.

The interior face plate covering the new fan will need to be trimmed in depth by about an inch because the roof on the Livin' Lite is not as deep as probably conventional RV's.  Exposing the roof after removing the old fan shows just how well built and insulated our Livin' Lites are!

If you are the least bit handy go ahead and replace your fans and save yourself a bunch of money not having a dealer installing for you.

Nice job, well done.
At full speed our Vortex was way too noisy. So I ended up replacing old fan myself using some guidelines and tutorials - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZab3lJJBw
Leaving it here in case someone might need this.
Have only one warning, just in case - The Vortex is installed onto an existing vent, completely from the inside of the trailer. The Fantastic Fans require a complete vent replacement. Like, yes, our Livin' Lites are very nice built devices, but I'd recommend to look for a different option for a fan in case you're not experienced DIYer.

Replaced ours with Hurricane (specs) and it works as a charm. It is quieter, and the tone is lower pitch and less annoying. My old fan, when activated, would cause a static-popping sound in my speakers from electrical noise generated by the cheap motor. The new fan does not do this.