Why are camplites so light?

Started by TurboTim, January 21, 2018, 03:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboTim

Really looking to get a camplite soon but have been wondering the question of why are they so light? I know the actual frame they sit on is aluminium but these days other then the steel frame most travel trailers are also aluminum structure. I just dont want to invest in something that is flimsy and thin. I do think the acrylic windows are probably lighter but also probably cheaper and less insulated. Thoughts on why they are so light?

prose

Tim, one of the reasons they are so light as you alluded to is that many mfg's will have a steel frame with an aluminum structure.  Our frame is all aluminum framed.  Also the the aluminum studs are not stuffed with wood like many other competitors have done.  Are studs are not stuffed and have foam board as insulation.  The outer skin, whether it might be aluminum or high gloss fbg. will beadhered to an Azdel wall composite (not wood) and vacuum bonded for a very solid wall.  All the cabinetry in the units is aluminum framed also, with the option of having wood fronts and stiles adhered to the aluminum frames.  Hope this helps. -pr

bae146

The acrylic windows are double pane, and way better than the single pane glass units.

DavidM

Camplites are light because every house component: the frame, structural studs, exterior walls (at least the aluminum sheet, not so much for the fiberglass), interior walls, the cabinets and the roof (well, only the older aluminum roof) are all lighter than typical RV construction. For my 2013 16 TBS it was at least 500 lbs lighter, maybe more than any other comparable trailer.

I would note that the advertised dry weight has gone up over the years even after dropping a set of axles from this model, no doubt due to the roof, floor, fiberglass sides, etc.

David

Capt J-rod

Camplites were designed to fill a void. Fuel prices were high and people sold their gas guzzlers and massive campers during the recession. Most families had a small suv that could tow a small light weight trailer. Quality of regular trailers were very poor and the leaks and failures were and still are quite frequent. Many still wanted to go camping and camplite let it happen without buying a new tow vehicle as well as a new camper. They were very expensive for their size, but the quality was pretty obvious.

klaker

Ever load a 4x8 sheet of OSB or plywood into your car? now imagine an entire camper made out that.

In many industries there is a direct relation to how heavy something is and how much it costs.

K Syrah Syrah

Quote from: bae146 on January 23, 2018, 10:11:46 AM
The acrylic windows are double pane, and way better than the single pane glass units.

YES! In 20 degree (Fahrenheit) weather, the inside of the dual pane acrylic widows were delightfully warm! We had the heater on the lowest setting and it was super cozy inside.
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
...as Doris says, with a bold red in hand, "Whatever will be, will be."
😁🍷

ADR

I don't really think newer Camplites ARE all that light.  We bought a 2018 16TBS to replace a 2014 179 Rpod.   The CL is a little smaller actually but weighs a little more than the Rpod.
We went for it to mainly get away from wood and it's eventual problems and I thought the quality would be better.   
Turns out the quality is not much better.  We've actually have more issues and harder to repair issues than the Rpod had.

klaker

The early camplite models were lighter. The 21BHS was 3,499 dry weight when first introduced, my 2016 is 4,088. Don't know about the other models, probably are similar.

http://ultralitetrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/camp-lite-brochure.pdf

DavidM

Quote from: klaker on February 12, 2018, 09:04:53 AM
The early camplite models were lighter. The 21BHS was 3,499 dry weight when first introduced, my 2016 is 4,088. Don't know about the other models, probably are similar.

I doubt if that 589 lb growth is all due to design changes. Maybe some of it is including options in the base weight or just being more honest. But the design changes do add weight. Sheet aluminum for the roof or sides is lighter than rubber or fiberglass, and those two changes probably add several hundred pounds. The wood cabinets also add almost a hundred pounds I would guess.

David

Paul

My 2018 21BHS with Platinum Package and Aluminum interior is 3960# dry
http://aluminumcamperforum.com
2014 Ford Escape
2016 Ford F150 XTR 2.7l ecoboost  4x4
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2018 Camplite 21BHS (on order)

klaker

Quote from: DavidM on February 12, 2018, 09:39:43 AM
Quote from: klaker on February 12, 2018, 09:04:53 AM

I doubt if that 589 lb growth is all due to design changes. Maybe some of it is including options in the base weight or just being more honest. But the design changes do add weight. Sheet aluminum for the roof or sides is lighter than rubber or fiberglass, and those two changes probably add several hundred pounds. The wood cabinets also add almost a hundred pounds I would guess.

Probably aren't many design changes between the early and later 21BHS. My camper does have tile over the aluminum floor, while it looks great it added close to 200 pounds.

With the tile, wood cabinet fronts, and maybe some changes in weight for appliances and such the pounds add up fast.

While I would rather have a 3500 pound camper, 4000 is fine, as long as I get the aluminum roof and floor, slide storage, square baggage doors, etc.  ;D