2013 13 QBB Ball size, frame size, wheel lugs, grease, WD hitch

Started by vermontday, January 04, 2018, 08:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vermontday

We recently bought a 2013 13QBB.

1. What size hitch ball does it take? I have read 2-5/16 on the forum, but the manual calls for a 2".

2. What are the dimensions of the aluminum frame? I want to make plates to sandwich the frame (with dielectric material, then steel) for mounting the sway bar ball plate.

3. What size are the wheel lug nuts?

4. What type grease does the factory use for the wheel bearings?

5. Do you think we need a WD hitch? We will be towing it with a 2014 Sienna minivan with a pull capacity of 3500# and a max tongue weight of 350#. We have a family of four with a family weight of approximately 575# (had to estimate the boss ;)).

Thanks for your help.

DavidM

Most answers are below:

Quote from: vermontday on January 04, 2018, 08:45:01 AM
We recently bought a 2013 13QBB.

1. What size hitch ball does it take? I have read 2-5/16 on the forum, but the manual calls for a 2".
My 2013 16TBS uses a 2" ball. Sometime in the last few years the factory went to 2-5/16", but for that era it is 2".

2. What are the dimensions of the aluminum frame? I want to make plates to sandwich the frame (with dielectric material, then steel) for mounting the sway bar ball plate.

Don't have that info. Most WDH users use a clamp on mount over the existing frame which works ok. See below about need.

3. What size are the wheel lug nuts?

19 mm. I keep a 1/2" drive breaker bar in the trunk with a 6 point 19mm socket. A 3/8" bar is too light.

4. What type grease does the factory use for the wheel bearings?

Any wheel bearing grease will work fine. You almost certainly have the Dexter spring loaded grease cups. Open the rubber stopper in the center of the wheel and you will see a zerk fitting that you can squirt grease into. Squirt until it comes out the sides. Use a lever operated grease gun and wheel bearing grease cartridges.

5. Do you think we need a WD hitch? We will be towing it with a 2014 Sienna minivan with a pull capacity of 3500# and a max tongue weight of 350#. We have a family of four with a family weight of approximately 575# (had to estimate the boss ;)).

Well, I think you are marginal with that TV with or without a WDH. The LL website no longer lists that model, but I am guessing that the empty, no options weight is about 2,500 lbs. Options, gear and fluids can easily bring it up to 3,500 lbs. The tongue weight may go over 350 lbs.

Also check the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of your minivan. This is the total weight of TV, passengers, gas, trailer with all of its gear, fluids and options. In other words the total weight of both vehicles going down the road. I bet you will exceed this value, maybe significantly.

A WDH will help with stability but not total weight carrying capacity. If you do it, get the lightest WDH that you can find, because rarely do people use one with a 3,500 # tow rating and the lighter the WDH, the less stress on the frame. 600 lbs. is usually the lightest available.

Thanks for your help.

vermontday

Great answers, thanks for your Help Dave! I did calculate the GCWR and it was close. We will try to limit what we carry.

The trailer we bought is at Beckley's in Maryland, we have yet to go down and get it. If anyone out there is the prior owner, we would be interested in the history of the trailer.

vermontday

I still would appreciate the following information, should someone be able to measure their 2013 13QBB tongue frame.

When we pick up the trailer, I want to have a bracket ready to bolt the sway bar plate.

Thanks,

Mitch

You're welcome.  My 2013 13 QBB has been pretty much flawless since purchase so if the size works for you I think you'll be very happy. 

Graham

My 2012 13qbb is tucked away in storage for the winter, so I can't help with the measurement questions. But I know the ball size is 2", which looks liken was already confirmed. I would try doing a local trip before making a decision on the WDH. My guess is you won't need it for sway control. Does the Sienna have self-leveling rear suspension?

Graham

vermontday

I installed air levelers in the back shocks, so I can level the van.

We will pick up the trailer next week (and see it for the first time!).

Thanks,

vermontday

The wife and I picked up the trailer in Maryland and traveled on, spending a month camping in Virginia, NC, Georgia and Florida as a "short" shakedown trip. The camper performed flawlessly. We loved it. We camped in temperatures from 18F (dry camping) to 85F, in all kinds of weather.

It towed fine behind the Sienna with no WDH, just a sway bar.

We would still be interested in the history of our trailer if the prior reads this. We bought it at Beckley's in Maryland.

Now onto the Pacific Northwest with our kids in May (sleeping in the van and the trailer). We plan on roaming around for three months.

Thanks

chappy133

I towed a 6.0 with a Town and Country van.  One item that really helped was Monroe Load Leveling shocks if you find your rear end too low.  Since you been on the road for a while now you may not have the issue we had.  Happy Cammping!
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

vermontday

We had 30psi in the coil spring rear air lifts. It road level.