Why is it so hard to find used Camplites??

Started by EricP7040, January 01, 2018, 08:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricP7040

Is it because no one wants to sell theirs? 
Or because there just aren't that many out there?

EricP7040

tco2612

I have been trying to sell mine for months. :o

PYG RYDR

Do not know.

BTW, I am selling my 2016 Camplite 16TB.  It is all aluminum!  Great shape with extras!  Located in VA.

Contact me if interested. 

Galen

tco2612

2014 Camplite 11 ft. FK with tipout bed, air, heat Off road package and more very nice clean camper. THE LAST OF ALL ALUMINUM.

EricP7040

Quote from: PYG RYDR on January 02, 2018, 06:42:37 PM
Do not know.

BTW, I am selling my 2016 Camplite 16TB.  It is all aluminum!  Great shape with extras!  Located in VA.

Contact me if interested. 

Galen

PM sent PYG

Jillbenisch

I have a ‘15 16bhb we are selling only to get a larger one!  Love. It.

Capt J-rod

My 2015 is one of the last years that the all aluminum construction was used.... Its not for sale LOL. Never another plastic roof, never another wooden or composite floor. Towable with damn near anything. Also remember the price point fell into a strange place. A stick frame was 1/2 price and an airstream was more. It took a while to get mine used but I was never so happy to write the check. FWIW I paid more used for a 2015 RBS than my dad did for a new 2017 24' Starcraft launch.

Jillbenisch

Capt J Rod, your post makes me sad to let ours go!  And, hearing that the new Camplites are just like everything else is so sad! 

utahredrock

Did he say they are just like everything else? I am sold that CampLite is still a unique and strong product. At least I hope so, since I just bought mine. The composite floors they are using now seem like a fine solution without compromising quality--albeit they aren't all aluminum, they also aren't look most poorly built RVs.

Jim
Recovering Airstreamer
Salt Lake City
Jim Breitinger
Salt Lake City
2018 11FK Owner
Recovering Airstreamer

djsamuel

Quote from: utahredrock on January 31, 2018, 01:29:08 AM
Did he say they are just like everything else? I am sold that CampLite is still a unique and strong product. At least I hope so, since I just bought mine. The composite floors they are using now seem like a fine solution without compromising quality--albeit they aren't all aluminum, they also aren't look most poorly built RVs.

Jim
Recovering Airstreamer
Salt Lake City

Don't worry about it.  The Camplites are still far from a typical camper.  The entire frame of the camper is a welded aluminum structure, including the cabinets.  You will find after many miles, the camper will still be just as solid as the day you got it.  Time will tell regarding the new floor.  Mine has the aluminum floor, which I really like.  But it does get cold, so the new composite floor may actually work out better as long as it is durable. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Capt J-rod

I agree the floor gets cold, but some rubber workout mats help a lot. The exposed water lines make winter and cold camping a bit of a pain. I am very strong minded when it comes to the new "improvements" in the line. I had a jayco prior to my camplite. The 5 year old roof had a leak which resulted in replacing the entire roof as well as the sheeting and some structural wood. I also had to replace part go the floor where the water rotted out. The quality of that trailer was pitiful at best and they really made no provisions for repair. Once I found camplite I immediately discovered that most if not all of the flaws in the Jayco were addressed and eliminated in the superior design. The aluminum roof is loud in the rain, but is awesome for durability and longevity. The aluminum floor is bulletproof. Access to wiring and plumbing is excellent. The welded structure is amazing. The lack of wood was a great asset. Ironically one of the only common problems was from a door that they purchased from challenger that has a habit of corroding and blistering. Overall with the materials and design, and proper maintenance, an older camplite can be preserved and used for decades. As an engineer I can almost see where they identified weakness in the other's design and corrected it. As for the new trailers? there are still some great features carried over from the original design, but the mission is getting lost to the profit margin. Just my thoughts and observations...

djsamuel

Quote from: Capt J-rod on January 31, 2018, 04:07:01 PM
I agree the floor gets cold, but some rubber workout mats help a lot. The exposed water lines make winter and cold camping a bit of a pain. I am very strong minded when it comes to the new "improvements" in the line. I had a jayco prior to my camplite. The 5 year old roof had a leak which resulted in replacing the entire roof as well as the sheeting and some structural wood. I also had to replace part go the floor where the water rotted out. The quality of that trailer was pitiful at best and they really made no provisions for repair. Once I found camplite I immediately discovered that most if not all of the flaws in the Jayco were addressed and eliminated in the superior design. The aluminum roof is loud in the rain, but is awesome for durability and longevity. The aluminum floor is bulletproof. Access to wiring and plumbing is excellent. The welded structure is amazing. The lack of wood was a great asset. Ironically one of the only common problems was from a door that they purchased from challenger that has a habit of corroding and blistering. Overall with the materials and design, and proper maintenance, an older camplite can be preserved and used for decades. As an engineer I can almost see where they identified weakness in the other's design and corrected it. As for the new trailers? there are still some great features carried over from the original design, but the mission is getting lost to the profit margin. Just my thoughts and observations...

Don't disagree with a thing you say.  :D My 2013 21BHS has had its issues, especially leaks, plus a failed air conditioner.  However, the knowledge of no wood is a HUGE comfort and plus for these trailers.  However, to me the biggest positives are many of the issues you note; welded frame (both chassis and trailer structure), aluminum roof, etc.  I too am an engineer (mechanical) and really appreciate the design of this camper.  I do have the issue with the entry door, and wish they were more careful with their product selection.  I also much prefer the aluminum roof.  One issue they mentioned regarding the aluminum roof is the difficulty bending the material in the front of the camper.  That is an ugly area on my camper when looking at it on a ladder.  In fact, it is the area where the leaks in my roof formed due to the nature of the bending of the aluminum.  So that would be a benefit of the rubber roof; but that is not enough to sway me to think the rubber roof is better. 

I too really like the aluminum floor; especially since it is NOT wood and won't rot.  The new floor, IF designed properly, may function just as well and deserves a chance.  Also, for me, the cold issue with the aluminum floor is mitigated by the fact I live in Florida.  My trailer has the bare aluminum flooring, which can be a bit of a pain in terms of marking and difficulty cleaning. However, if I was offered a new 21BHS in an even trade with my 2013 21BHS, I would not take them up on it.  One of those new CL23 models may tempt me though if they had the aluminum door package (with those great door latches which I will never trade away).

Ultimately, the big plus is durability.  My Camplite remains as solid today as when I picked it up over 4 years ago. As it currently stands, for the most part, the new Camplites retain enough of the design to still be a really durable camper.  Hopefully that won't change.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

klaker

My 2016 has vinyl tile over the aluminum floor. I really like it this way, although it added weight to the camper the floor doesn't get as cold as bare aluminum and the color of the vinyl is very nice.

while I consistently bash thor for moving livinlite away from the "all aluminum" concept I think the vinyl covered aluminum floor and wood cabinet fronts aren't too terrible.

Utahredrock, You still have a nice camper that is magnitudes better than the chipboard junkers (good band name, lol)) everybody makes, there are some die hard livinlite fanatics that much prefer the "all aluminum" concept not the "no rot" one so you'll have to keep that in mind as you peruse the forums :)