What's the difference?

Started by Jeepsk8, November 29, 2017, 01:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepsk8

I met a guy camping last week that bought the exact same QS 6.0 off road edition that I did from the same RV center under the same circumstances (we both bought on a whim while en-route to go Jeeping) only he bought his a month before me. He was just so happening to stay at the same CG as me last week. We had a laugh at the dealership because of this guy doing the same as me only a month earlier, and he and I did the same laugh at the CG. We exchanged info and have been talking via text ever since in regards to Jeeps and the QS. An interesting thing, I decided to weigh the tongue of my camper this morning using the non-scientific method of a bathroom scale. The tongue really seems heavy to me and the scale confirmed it at 256 lbs! The only thing I have inside is a 10X10 popup awning, it does have a battery on the front as well. I texted him with my finding and through discussion realized the the sticker inside the door has different weights between mine and his. His sticker says the UVW is 780 lbs with a tongue weight of 140 lbs. mine says UVW of 840 with a tongue weight of 160 lbs. We both have A/C and a spare tire and everything else is literally exactly the same, including the color. They were even built within month of each other. Why is there a 60 pound overall difference and a 20 pound tongue weight difference? Maybe Dan can chime in if he sees this.

Entropy3XD

They are the same model year?  Any difference in the axle? 

I've been told Dan is no longer there.

Jeepsk8

Uggh, was hoping Dan could help. Yep, both are 2018's.

Jeepsk8

Entropy3XD

Yeah, it was a bummer to hear Dan isn't around.  He was very helpful. 

This is a long shot, but any chance one of you has the awning\awning kit, and drapes?  Not that I would expect them to weigh 60 lbs, but maybe they take those into consideration when printing the sticker.

Jeepsk8

If I did, they were not included on delivery. We thought of that as well. I might send the dealer an email to see if they know.

smjcolsga

QS models built this year, even only a month apart, can be very different campers in terms of construction since 2018 is the model year where Thor/KZ implemented a frame-up redesign of the entire QS line. Case in point is the QS10 from 2017 to 2018 model year build, where overall weight dropped 60lb (composite floor and walls vs all-aluminum) but tongue weight went from 130lb to 190lb due to moving the axle 4" to the rear (ostensibly to offset a potentially overloaded rear deck). Is your friend's QS 6.0 an all-aluminum deck model? Does yours have a deck?

Sorry to hear about Dan if it's true he's no longer with LL... he was instrumental in helping a few of us get resolution from LL who were caught unaware by the QS line's total redesign and had serious quality issues with some early build 2018 units.

Jeepsk8

Both are 2018 models, have the composite floor and are identical in every way including color. Mine was made a month after his but is heavier by 60 lbs.

Jeepsk8

My buddy got a hold of somebody at the factory who was able to pull up both units on the computer. They are constructed exactly the same. The have 2 certified scales they use to weigh the units before they ship them. The only explanation he could offer was a difference in material weight, but that is a pretty big difference. I figure some dude had a foot on the scale when they weighed mine or something dumb like that. At any rate, I am satisfied.

DavidM

You might be surprised at material weight differences. Just out of high school, I worked a summer job at a sheet metal shop. Another worker and I had to carry big sheets of 18 gauge sheet metal that weighed about 50 lbs each. When we got them on the scale they would weigh as much as 5 lbs different. Now think about all of the aluminum sheet and framing that goes into a LL, not to mention Azdel and appliance weight differences.

I can easily see 60 lbs difference.

David

Jeepsk8

I'm sure it all adds up. 60 lbs of aluminum is a lot. Maybe I just got the better built rig :)

Entropy3XD

Cool to know they individually weigh each trailer.  Thanks for the update.

Ruth1211

What's the difference? Ozempic USA offers unique insights into the nuances of diabetes management in the United States. By exploring factors such as healthcare access, treatment options, and patient experiences specific to the Ozempic USA, this discussion sheds light on the challenges and opportunities faced by individuals managing diabetes in this region. With Ozempic as a focal point, the conversation provides valuable perspectives on navigating the complexities of diabetes care within the American healthcare system.
Ruth White

Pollly11

ooh, thank you for this post