ZAMP ready?

Started by AWOL, November 26, 2017, 01:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWOL

'17 CL11FK, what does Zamp ready mean? Is it simply a wired connection from that exterior "plug in" directly to the house battery? Is there a Zamp solar charge converter installed somewhere in my trailer?
Dean

kluanie

The Zamp plug is connected to the battery, nothing else is included to control the charging.

AWOL

DavidM

If you install a solar panel and hook it up to the Zamp outlet, there are a couple of things you need to do to complete the installation:

Install a solar controller near the battery. If the Zamp outlet is wired to the battery (and I will bet it is more likely wired to the converter) then check the wire size. It needs to be at least 10 gauge for a 100 watt panel and 8 for 200 watts. Then break the wire at the controller and connect the wire from the Zamp to the input of the controller. Then wire the output of the controller with 8 or even 6 gauge to the battery unless it is right next to the battery. The waterproof Morningstar controller mounted on the side of the battery box as in my article on Aluminumcamperforum would be a good solution for a single 100 watt panel.

David

AWOL

Thank you David...I'll find your write up on the Aluminum forum
Dean

djsamuel

Quote from: AWOL on November 29, 2017, 03:32:23 PM
Thank you David...I'll find your write up on the Aluminum forum
Dean

It is in the November newsletter accessible near the top of the menu.  It is an excellent article that really got me thinking.
2013 Camplite 21BHS