WINTERIZING A CL21RBS

Started by LANA/LARRY, October 27, 2017, 09:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LANA/LARRY

There are some good You Tube video's on winterizing RV's for do it yourself types. I took notes on the one I felt best fit my Camplite 21 RBS and customized it a little for my purposes. I suspect most CL RV's would be similar to this procedure as per attachment.  List looks intimidating, but should be pretty simple for average Do It Yourselfer. Antifreeze available at Walmart for <$3/gallon. I used 2 gallons. Important note: be careful not to cross thread fittings when installing components listed in attachment; could cause damage to pump and/or water heater.

One note, a frustrating issue concerning the fresh water tank drain. Livin Lite placed the drain valve for this tank on side of the tank instead of on bottom. If not properly addressed, this can leave about 1/8 of tank water filled; a possible place for water to freeze and perhaps crack tank. My tank has a sloped channel on bottom with a low point designed to draw all water from tank. I installed a drain at this low point so as to completely empty tank using 3/4" UNISEAL Flexible Tank Adapter (Bulkhead) available on Amazon.

Important note:
2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L

DavidM

This is a belt, suspenders and ...... approach. You drain, blow with air and flush with antifreeze. I do the first and a little of the third- antifreeze in the traps plus a little extra care with the pump and toilet flush valve. Works for me on my 16TBS where all water will drain with no blowing.

David

7thunders

I"ve blown the lines out..but have one question. when blowing them out does the air penetrate the pump and blow thru? I have not used or put water in the water tank so I dont' have any issues with that.  I'm ready to pump antifreeze through now...

another question, I know my gray/black tanks are drained but if there Is any moisture inside them I suspect that will drain towards the valves. is there anything that needs to be done with the drains?  thanks...
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser

DavidM

I leave the drains open all winter. Two reasons:

1. Lets any condensate drain out (not really important as a little water/ice in the bottom of the tanks won't hurt anything, and

2. More importantly, if any water gets caught inside the valve when it is closed, it will freeze and destroy the valve.

David

LANA/LARRY

Concerning 7Thunders question about backflow through the pump, that is how water got in my fresh water tank. We never put any water intentionally into fresh water tank, only used shore water during our camping trips. However as noted in original post, water apparently did flow backward from discharge side of pump and into the fresh water tank. Glad I noticed the water level buildup in the tank and no way tank was originally configured to get this water out of tank.

Based on my experience, I would expect air would certainly blow back through pump similarly to water we experienced. My CL21RBS doesn't have an isolation valve on discharge side of pump to keep this from happening - I don't know about how other CL's may be set up. I was surprised how much water discharged when air purge initially flowed out of water piping at multiple points. If you have access to air compressor, air purging is easy to do and should reduce potential for freeze up. If air source is not available to you, I suggest generous antifreeze flow which should serve you well so long as enough is flowed to minimize risk of antifreeze dilution / reduced freeze protection.

Since I used the water pump to push antifreeze through entire water system, pump will certainly be protected the way I did it.

I agree with DavidM on grey & black water tank drain valve being left open with outlet cap off. May want to put a bucket under outlet...
2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L

7thunders

leaving the cap off gray/black tanks is good idea but what about a chipmunk etc getting in..and makin a nest..lol
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser